Friday, August 11, 2006

Life is precious

I just received the news that a friend and former co-worker's little boy decided to come into the world 3 months early. Alex was born July 30th, measured 13.5 inches long, and weighed just 2.5 pounds. He has already gained 4 ounces, which is a huge encouragement.

I was going on my merry way checking e-mail while my almost 20 pound 9 1/2 month old naps, when this announcement hit me like a ton of bricks. You see, Alex's due date was the same as my little girl's original estimated due date, just a year later... October 29th.

"Suffer the little children to come onto me."

I can only imagine the heartache that Alex's parents felt when they realized that it will be a while before they can carry their baby boy home. Not 2 or 3 days like the rest of us... Mommy and Daddy will be visiting the NICU quite frequently, they will know the nurses by name and have their favorites... the ones the grow to trust as though they are family. On the other hand, I pray that as he is gaining weight, God will give them hope. I pray that they will see a miracle and that Alex will soon thrive. He is not the first preemie to be born; we have a similar story in our extended "family", and he is doing great now... almost a year and a half later. God tells us that little children are special to Him. I can't help but think He gives extra grace especially to families such as Alex's.

1 comment:

Caslon said...

I'm sure he will be fine. It's amazing how those little babies do.
One of the nurses we talked to when we went through this with my nephew said the ones with good families always do well. Even though they are tiny, they know when they are loved.
We will keep him in our prayers.