a chocolate-covered Valentine's week
Hubby did good. His wonderful sister told him that I had been craving truffles from The Cocoa Tree, and he took the hint to heart.
Back when The Cocoa Tree was in downtown Franklin, Bear was still in a stroller, and one fall day one of my roommates from college and I strolled in to sample the truffles which I had heard so much about. They did not disappoint, nor did the Mayan hot chocolate. Well, that shop closed, but Bethany reopened in the Germantown district of Nashville a little while later. I fully intended to pay the new location a visit before we moved. You know what they say about intentions? Well, I have lots of them. Let's just say that hubby is the one who follows through consistently.
So last night I woke up from naptime (yes, when the kiddos nap, I nap, it's not often Bear goes down willingly) to the maintenance guy's knock, he handed me the box from UPS. Alas, it was not from the maintenance guy (that would be freaky). It was indeed from my beloved.
My present? A dozen truffles. I don't normally refer to candy as exquisite, but these truffles are not your ordinary buy-day-after-Valentine's-at-half-price. And since the shop is no longer in driving distance due to our move, I can't just drive 20 minutes for my fix.
The adorable robin's egg and brown box is artistic in its own right. It's solid construction hints that it contains better-than-ordinary treats. Enclosed in the box was also a brochure, a "map" to help identify the flavors as well as a temptress for future orders.
So, my first truffle happened to be Liz's Milk Chocolate. Simple, yet rich. I probably should have payed more attention and saved that one to share with hubby. He prefers the classics flavors, and this one fit that bill. Milk chocolate shell with sprinkles on top surrounding the milk chocolatey ganache inside. Heaven in its purest form. Yes, it is "the one that everybody loves."
Last night, I tasted Karin's Irish Cream after I put Buddy to bed. Bear was ecstatic to share a bite of Mommy's special treat. Oh my goodness... delectable. Described in the borchure as 'The one that pours," it's a soothing blend of chocolate and Irish Creme at the end of a toddler-filled day. I regretted sharing that bite with my daughter, oh how I wanted more.
This morning... why not have a truffle for breakfast? I opted to try Deborah's Chambord... "the one that stands out in a crowd." Dark chocolate and raspberry flavored center, coated in white chocolate with a dusting of raspberry adornment. This is the one that made me think "exquisite." I have fond memories of the Jack and Ginger and Beck's Margarita from previous encounters... DC is a new favorite. Again, the giving mother that I am shared it with both kids. My 18 month old kept pointing toward the box of truffles and chanting "dis" (this in toddlerese)... he wanted more. I gave him a Hershey's kiss instead, and that seemed to subdue him. Note to self: stop sharing my priceless treats with the children.
I'm blogging about these to remind myself which ones I like the best... these truffles are really that good. Thanks, Bethany:Chocolatier, for the cure to the common chocolate boredom.
2 comments:
Hey! I've written about those truffles too! ;) So fun to read this post. Angela, "Chocolate Covered Friendship"
That's right! I should have just quoted your book on the blog. Too bad it's still in storage somewhere. Sorry! :P
Post a Comment