dreaming of authenticity
So, just before I was awakened by my boy at 5:30 this morning, I had an odd dream. It was odd because of the characters in the dream. My family (me, my husband, and kids, a married couple, and to be honest I'm not sure that the wife is who the guy is really married to or not... I didn't know her. I barely knew the guy in elementary school, so to have him in a dream was rather surprising. I know his name and that's about it, nothing of his character. Yet all of a sudden he became a substitute mascot. And the friend from high school... she was a friend who I always appreciated as someone who was true to herself. Somewhere in the middle. Not part of the main clique, but not an outcast by any means. And somehow, they all ended up at my house, along with my family. The first couple essentially represented the legalistic years, the ones during which I was taught that obedience is "the very best way to show that you believe." (Feel free to sing with me if you know the song!) One might add "no questions asked" to that definition. The other friend represented freedom in her searching, one seeking honesty above perfection. And when they left, the couple was set in their ways, telling us what we should be doing, while the friend was still searching and not convinced that those other people had what she wanted, even if they were "right." There were a few other details (and people) in there... but that's the gist of it. And after I got Buddy settled back down with his sippy cup, snuggled in his big boy bed because apparently the crib won't do, I was still pondering the implications of this dream that was cut short. Not the "why were those people in my dream," but the theme of the experience, more or less. (More to come, maybe.... but it's time to be Mommy.)
No comments:
Post a Comment