In 2009, I decided I wanted to try to run a 5k. I don't know what happened, or how that dream fizzled, or when I stopped believing it was worth the effort involved. But I did. Or maybe, I just didn't think I COULD do it, so why bother?
Fast forward... my cousin, who I mentioned yesterday... caught the dream. With an awesome, trusted friend mentoring her, she trained relentlessly. Then injury delayed her dream of running the Boston Marathon just 1 year after finishing the BAA 5k. (Read her guest post over at Middle Places... it is awesome.)
I ran tonight. Not just on the elliptical in the basement. After dinner, I left the kids with Daddy and ran out my front door. I didn't stop for almost 1/2 mile. And then I walked briskly home. I haven't run a mile since PE in high school. I probably have not run 1/2 mile since then, either.
Freshman year... 1991... that was a long time ago. A couple of years before that, I had wanted to try to run middle school track. Alas, some grades dropped from A's to B's, my asthma and allergies kicked in, and instead of figuring out how to manage them, I quit before the first meet. (What ever happened to "I don't expect perfection, I appreciate the effort," the mantra that I heard growing up? I guess it did not really apply to athletics in our house.)
Anyway... the run felt good. My goal is to run farther every time I get out there (3 times a week to start?) and not worry about speed. Even if it's just 10 yards farther. I have an inhaler and I am not afraid to use it.
I bet I could search back in my blog and find posts from 2009 describing my idea of trying to run a 5K.
I do have another motivation in this. Blood sugar. I am prediabetic and do not want to get type 2 diabetes. Nor do I want to HAVE to track every single morsel that enters my body. I love food. I have been blessed with a high metabolism in addition to a long torso for some reason, so during all 3 pregnancies I got funny looks when I told them how far along I was. The 3rd pregnancy, people didn't seem to believe that I could have gestational diabetes, but I did.
A friend told me to choose an event and make that my goal, otherwise I won't actually get around to doing it. So I guess that's the next step.
2 comments:
You can do it! One thing that I learned when I was running is that it sometimes gets a little harder before it is easier. Meaning, the first few runs you feel great and then the next few you start to hurt and feel tired earlier. Don't give up. Your lungs have to catch up with your head's determination.
We would love to see a picture of all of the kids. I bet they have grown so much!
It's so good to hear from you, Sam! I need your updated e-mail address. Send me a message (mine is the same as it was) and I will send you some pics! :) Lauren
Post a Comment