In spite of my addiction to social media, I am fairly technologically challenged. I can get around your basic word processing program or spreadsheet (maybe), but my cell phone is not what's considered "smart" these days and I don't own an iPod, iPad or anything "i" for that matter. I also don't own a stopwatch, or a digital watch of any type. So my "training" to run a 5k has been somewhat haphazard to this point. I am utilizing a website that maps my distances for me and tracks my pace. After I do my walk/run/walk/jog/walk combo of the evening or elliptical workout, map the route, and it does the math for me. I love it. I had been using another site to track my nutrition, but I have slacked off on that. (I just ate a whole mug of chocolate cookie dough ice cream to reward myself for this evening's workout.)
Anyway, mid-week I decided my goal for the week would be to log 6 miles. I surpassed my goal tonight, logging about 2.25 miles with a pace of 13:17/mile. My total for the week is 7.89 miles in 5 workout sessions.
I compare myself to others and am prone to being a "defeated perfectionist." Someone who, instead of relying on the strength of the Holy Spirit to do things, dwells on what they want to do but is afraid they can't do it perfectly so they stagnate.
I am working toward my goal of being able to run a 5k step by step. I haven't chosen an event yet, but my goal of averaging 3-4 workouts per week is becoming a reality. I alternate between focusing on running one longer stretch and increasing my overall distance but doing more intervals of running and jogging.
Step by step.
I have a mental list of areas that I need to improve in my role as a Mom, Wife, and Homemaker. This goal of running a 5k is one that I am tackling with more consistency, partly due to the whole gestational diabetes/prediabetes scare.
Whether it's the running (or wannabe running, in my case), the housekeeping and organization (or embarrassing lack thereof), the intentional parenting and training of my blessings (which I'm also slowly tackling, step by step, although some days it seems like they are teaching me,) or the balancing of all of the above and partnering with my husband as we cultivate our relationship and seek God's will in various aspects of our life together.... it's going to happen step by step.
No comments:
Post a Comment