Many years ago, my husband's grandfather built this sign above the corn fields along a rural state road in Wisconsin.
I confess, I've been in a "wandering heart" seasoning. Not so much from Jesus or my faith in God, but from the organized church. The political idolatry that I've seen amongst many followers of Christ saddens me. And then my own judgmental spirit toward them saddens me more.
A verse in Romans says, "Therefore, there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus."
That verse brought me so much comfort as a pondered my own weaknesses, ways I thought I should be better or do better, when even though I had trusted Jesus for my salvation, I thought I had to do more or be more. Jesus saves from my self. He saves from my depression.
He also saves us from our self-righteousness. "For it is not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He has saved us." Mercy. Plain and simple. Not mercy plus our good works. Not mercy plus our political correctness or conservativism. The more I read the New Testament, the more I believe that Jesus' words and actions line up with the liberal ideas that so many conservatives dismiss.
Jesus saves from "Faith over Fear." His perfect love casts out fear. Yet I see so much fear of _____________________ (fill in the blank) from so many who declare whole-hearted trust in God.
I never got to meet Grandpa Jonny. He died before I ever met my husband. But it's my understanding from running into strangers who knew him that his love of God was shown by his love for others. When Grandma would fret about something, he would admonish her to relax. I like to think that his declaration to all who pass by his property was more than just a get-out-of-eternal-hell ticket, but it was for us to ponder how Jesus can change our lives here on earth before we die. Maybe, just maybe, he can free me from the guilt trips over my weaknesses. Maybe He can free the church from internal warfare and corruption. What else....?

No comments:
Post a Comment