Thursday, January 15, 2009

schools closed tomorrow due to cold temps

and it's only half as bad here as other parts of the country. Currently 20', forecast to drop to the single digits (3-ish). What temp does it take to close schools in your area for cold weather?

Caslon should be flying home from Canada tonight- pray for a safe flight, especially that the geese stay out of the way!!!

9 comments:

Grace said...

It has to be -15 wind chill to cancel school. Most of the schools were canceled by about 11 last night. It is currently about -27 wind chill and about -15 actual temp! Yikes!!

Grace said...

I just checked the temps in Nashville. 7 above with a wind chill of 1 degree. The kids in our city would still be walking to school in that temp. BRRRR!!

happymcfamily said...

You know, the northerner in me wants to make fun of them for closing schools for being cold, but in all reality, it makes sense. Lots of the schools have portable classrooms which would require kids to walk outside between classes. And I know that a lot of the kids around here don't own coats that are appropriate for these temperatures... if they wear any coat at all. And old school buildings aren't exactly known for holding their heat...
I just want to know why they didn't close YESTERDAY when the temps were about the same and it would have given me a day off, lol.

Grace said...

Just in case it came off that this northerner was making fun of you guys (I admit it, part of me does know that you have thin blood down there, I lived in Alabama for several years remember, my blood's still thin from the experience), I know that people down there don't have the proper outerwear for the experience. As for the old schools not holding heat well, you're not kidding. All the schools in our town are old (read drafty with high ceilings) and heating bills are astronomical around here.

So, yes part of me REALLY wants to make fun of you guys, but I'll try my hardest not to!!

Anonymous said...

I read online yesterday that it needed to be -35 here to cancel. It was -18 this morning when I woke up with wind chills in the -30's. All the schools were canceled for the second day in a row.

Lauren said...

Wow.... Brrr.... It was sunny and beautiful here earlier, in spite of the chill, it would have been a heat wave for our OH and WI friends! It's 19 right now. +19, not -19.

Grace, I took it as you stating the facts, not making fun of the south. I remembered you lived in Bama. And Bec's right; hubby and I were discussing that they don't typically sell the proper gear for this kind of weather. I mean, when it snowed, I used our boogie board as a sled for Bear!

Caslon said...

thanks Lauren! I was really happy to get home last night although I thought it might be warmer here than it is! It's like the cold followed me! What's up with this!

Shell said...

I found out they closed school because there are no heaters in the Buses.

Heather said...

Moments like this I dont miss Canada or winter, lol!
Stay warm!
-h