settling in
I am still far from having things unpacked organized,etc.., (and probably always will be). But our new town of residence is beginning to feel a little bit more like home. We've met 2 of the families in our building, as well as a couple of kids at the playground in our neighborhood. I'm learning my way around town, including some shortcuts. It's not exactly a huge town, but still... sometimes country towns are easiest to get lost in and around. Especially Southern country towns, in which there is no such thing as a grid system for streets and there may be multiple streets with practically the same name.
One thing I have always liked about the South is that it is easier to assimilate. People are generally a bit friendlier and less rushed, and things like holding doors open for those entering a place behind you, or waving at neighbors (even if you don't really know them) are not uncommon. Since we chose to live in a less populated area, that holds true. And boy, am I thankful. It's not easy to hear your little girl ask when she gets to see her old friends every day. Part of the reason I don't make phone calls is that they make me miss people more. Counter-intuitive, perhaps, but that's the phase I'm going through right now.
Anyway, while checking out the school of gymnastics, I picked up a brochure for a MOPS group. And decided to give it a try. I sooo miss the fellowship of my neighbors and friends back home.
I'm glad we went. The kids were well cared for, and I got a break.. some time with other Moms. Bear had a huge smile and a new pet rock from her craft time, buddy was good for his teachers if they held him. And I got a break.
Next... we headed to the castle park to meet some friends. This totally made my day. Bear and the 4 year old don't exactly play together all the time, but they get along ok, and my hopes are that they'll become good friends. The older boys watched out for my kids, Buddy tried to keep up with the big boys (and girls), and I am getting to know their Mom better each time we meet.
I'm so thankful.
1 comment:
Glad you are starting to meet and make some friends. I'm sorry it's been so hard on you all. I wish we were closer!
Post a Comment