Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Freedom

It feels good to make a decision for myself and my kids, and know without a doubt I made it for the right reasons.  And to acknowledge that I did make that choice as much for myself as my child.  And that's okay.  Not just okay, it's really a good thing.

My baby girl is starting school tomorrow.

I got a degree in education thinking I might homeschool someday.
I have a lot of friends who homeschool.
I have relatives who homeschool.
Sometimes it seems like it's the "in" thing to do in some circles.
(Though that is not why most parents choose it.  Just like any other decision, multiple factors are considered... learning styles, school quality, other opportunities, faith-based reasons, the list goes on and on and on....)

But God did not call me to homeschool, not completely.  Not this year.
He also did not call me to compare myself to others or try to do what they do because it sure looks or sounds like a nice idea. (Though the idea of schedule flexibility going out the window next year is enough to make me re-evaluate our path and start searching for a curriculum for Kindergarten.)
And when I finally realized that, I found freedom.  (Thanks, Cheri, for putting it that way in our chat.)

Of course, I will still be my child's teacher.  I'm her Mom.  That's what Moms do. We teach and train our kids, or at least pour our heart and soul into the effort.
But my husband and I have chosen to share some of that responsibility, to give me a little break.
To give little guy some mommy and me time like sis had when she was little.

Let the Pre-K school year begin!  I am so proud of my little girl and can't wait to see what she learns this year.  With and without my help.

2 comments:

Sara said...

You know, (well, no, you wouldn't know, but you know what I mean, anyway)for as long as I can remember I've wanted to homeschool my kids for the first few years of school. I'm not really sure how I formed this desire but I think it is a combination of my wanting to be homeschooled as a child and my mom's statements of how much time is wasted in the early years of school. So, that being said here we are at age 4. I'm looking at homeschooling stuff and excited about it but at the same time I wish I could send her to school as well. Honestly, most of that desire comes from the multiple times we butt heads every stinkin' day added to some feelings of inadequacy and I know she'd love to actually go to a physical school. Oh, and I have no idea how in the world we'd get up and out the door in time! Anyway, that's where we are now.
I like what you said about not comparing. I need to remember that and not feel judged when my kid's not in preschool.
So, not so sure why I just wrote this whole monologue but I did really like this post.

Lauren said...

I'm glad you liked it AND commented. :)H is going to be the older end of her class, since the schools follow the same "age" guidelines as the public schools. Day 1 of Pre-K went well, tomorrow's Day 2. :)