Friday, November 05, 2010

Culinary Therapy

I hate my kitchen.  It's tiny.  There is almost no counter space: 2 feet above the dishwasher, next to the sink, one foot on either side of the stove.

Well, it has been a handy excuse not to cook this past 15 months in the apartment.  We eat out a lot.  But occasionally, I actually WANT to cook, and I actually want to enjoy the process.  When DH is out of town, I pretty much give up and we eat out a lot.

Tonight, in hopes that DH might be home in time for supper, I decided to make a good meal.  Plus, I do get weary of eating out. You never know when one of the lil'uns is going to reach their breaking point. So, the kiddos and I got to work.  That's right, they helped.  Sort of.  They fought over the step stool.  Bear helped spread butter and brown sugar on the butternut squash (Buddy tried to help, too.  Mostly, he just hung on our legs and got in the way.)  Then she helped stir the seasoning mixture for the pork chops. We distracted buddy in the living room, then I let her help slide the dishes into the oven.

I made some veggie penne pasta by Rizoni, seasoned with Pampered Chef's rosemary blend seasoning, garlic salt and butter for the side. 

Meat entree:

Baked pork chops, seasoned with fresh cilantro, fresh-squeezed lemon juice, pepper, garlic and olive oil



Dessert:
Sweet baked butternut squash (it was really small... I didn't want to buy a big one and not like it)

No comments: