Thursday, May 26, 2011

addictions come in many forms

Fortunately, FB is my worst time waster, I mean, there are far worse addictions to have.  With our return to having a yard and the return of Spring, my addiction to playing in the dirt and trying to grow things has also been revived.  It is fun seeing what we got in our yard when we bought the house in the bleak midwinter. :)

Our variegated hostas were HUGE until the hail flattened them, they are coming back nicely, along with some purple salvia.  Fortunately, the tiger lilies did not lose all their buds and we have 3 open with 3 more on the way.  Then there was the pink creeping phlox, spirea shrub, azaleas (salmon and white), japanese maple, and a few other shrubs.

The pansies we planted did not take off as well as I had hoped.  I am too frugal to pull them out and replace them, so I continue to water and fertilize in hopes that they will do ok.  My dear friend Anna brought me some iris from her yard- yay!  There are new leaves sprouting, so I know they will bloom next Spring.  The white candytuft must like being picked by the kiddos, because even though it is an early bloomer, more keep coming.  It is a perennial that should rebloom every year.  We'll see if the hyacinths or tulips I planted come up next spring, I plan to add daffodils to the mix in the fall.


we have just 1 big boy tomato plant and it seems to be doing well, the cucumber seeds resulted in 15 sprouts so I should probably thin those out in their pot.  I love having basil on the deck, fresh herbs add so much to my feeble attempts at cooking.  The oregano I planted is sprouting slowly, I hope it grows.

Mom brought me a wandering jew in a hanging pot along with a fern, and the swing area under the deck still screams, "landscape me!"

And then there are the lilies.  A few weeks ago I used a groupon and ended up with 4 plants.  I bought a couple to give as gifts yesterday, and one was a big enough clump that I was able to split part of it off for myself.  We have buds on the yellow "betty woods" variety, and Bear's "Bela Lugosi" which was a gift from the lily farmer. I had picked one plant out to give as a gift, and then when I saw another in bloom yesterday, I HAD to buy both.

"Singing His Praises" is the one I picked out to be a gift... reminds me of a peony! 



The farmer had the first "Northern Nocturne"of the season in bloom and I could not resist.  Gorgeous! 


I have a lot of things I would like on my mental list.... but some of them need flower beds in the back yard, and I am not quite motivated enough to dig through the thick grass.


Yes, I am addicted.  When my flowers multiply enough to split, I will be glad to share them on a first come first serve basis.  It will probably take a couple of years, though! 

I just need to remember to wear my sunscreen.

1 comment:

Proud Mommy of 2 said...

Love hearing all about your flowers!! :)