Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Tilling

For years, I've dabbled in gardening. I enjoyed my flower beds at my old houses, and even grew flowers on the balcony of our apartment.

Our new house has 3 acres. Some of it is level. So in spite of the fact that there are at least 6 rabbits living in our yard and deer in the vicinity, just for starters.... I am attempting my first large vegetable garden. It's about 25x30 feet. My little 4x4 and 4x2 square foot beds at my old house were fun, but this is a new territory for me. OH, I remember picking tomatoes, crimes, or green beans off the plants in my parents' garden and snacking. But in all honesty, my little square foot plots yielded a few tomatoes and peppers, a few herbs, and some leaf lettuce. I even had okra one year. But this...

Our neighbor brought over 5 or 6 scoops of old manure in his tractor over the past 2 months. My husband tilled the first batch for me, and I'm hoping my improved soil will help the rest of my crops.

No comments: