Friday, December 05, 2008

vanity

Anyone who has given birth to a child will most likely express dissatisfaction with her post-pregnancy body. Oh, we might sugar-coat things by saying we earned our stretch marks, and we are not in a rush to lose too much weight. At some point, at least for me, I begin to feel dissatisfied with my body and the need to take some sort of action.

Well, this morning I decided to see if my size 10 jeans from Bass fit.... and they did! Snugly, but without impeding my breathing! AND this is that bloated time of the month, and they still fit. Woo hoo! So after we returned from Buddy's 3 month check-up, I called the hair salon I have been using... and they were able to get me right in. I got a trim and had my unibrow and moustache taken care of. Okay, so they weren't QUITE that bad. Anyway, I may be vain, but I feel MUCH better about my appearance.

As for taking action... I am pricing out options for gyms (can we afford the Y, or should we just add me on where hubby exercises), but also going to look into some dvd's on amazon. Any dvd recommendations? Anyone? I have yoga, I'm thinking lower impact cardio or pilates or something similar. I have an exercise ball, yoga mat, brick and strap, dumbells and a tower thingy which Bear uses as monkey bars... so I'm leaning toward using what I have and then maybe if I establish a routine at home, rewarding myself with a membership somewhere. In any case, I think this will help improve my physical and mental conditions... they say 30 minutes of exercise a day has the same effect as some anti-depressant meds. (Once you get past the initial soreness from doing things your body has not done in ages.)

8 comments:

Caslon said...

You should try power yoga. It's yoga but gets your heart rate up. I've always lost weight when I do it on a regular basis. there's a "cruch" power yoga video I really love... it's a 45 min working - really good.

happymcfamily said...

If it were me and I had the money I would buy a Wii and get Wii Fit. That would be more fun :)

Anonymous said...

I feel like a new person when I get my eyebrows done! It is $20 well spent!

I have no great workout recommendations, unfortunately. This year I finally decided to let my gym membership expire. With the amount I was using it each visit probably ended up costing me $15! I'd really like to buy an elliptical once our budget allows for it. Until then I will have to wear my fat jeans :)

Samantha said...

I love the Wii idea. I also like my "crunch" fat burning pilates video. It gives you the cardio and toning and you don't need any supplies (mat is optional).

A trip to the salon always makes a gal feel better.

Lauren said...

I've learned that the mat is helpful for preventing carpet burn.

Heather said...

I saw pilate dvds. I memorized them soon enough and just did the routine where ever i could because I dont get the tv very often, or i use the tv for thr kids to watch so i can work out, lol!
If you do a gym, get one with great classes. You can more in a 45 min class than you would on your own in a gym without a class for 45 mins. I promise!
-h

La Nuit Étoilée said...

You are not vain...there is nothing wrong with taking a few steps to feel better about yourself. Since this was #3 for me, I actually am pretty well over the stretch mark thing, and am actually pretty amazed at how well my body responded to the whole childbirth tragedy. But that doesn't mean I'm not up for some maintenance in a few weeks here once my littlest one is old enough for for childwatch at the Y. I really prefer to go to a gym (with childcare) b/c it provides much more of an escape for me to be somewhere where the kids are taken care of and the purpose is exercise. At home, it's easy to feel guilty for not cleaning this or that or whatnot.

Sorry for the novel!

Sara said...

We just recently joined the Y and it's been wonderful. It is a bit pricy though. I feel so much better I have lost some weight and my jeans fit - mostly. The fact that we are shelling out is good motivation to get there and get working. I would never get around to working out at home. Um, it's too close to the computer!