Thursday, March 26, 2009

in case you wondered...

the 5k training is not going so well... it seems the only time i have to run is before dark. i may have to start getting up and running before hubby goes to work...

one day the wii said i was 28, the next it said 40... i think my score depends on which balance tests they randomly select for me. i have lost about 25 pounds in the last 7 months (since buddy was born), and seem to be holding steady where i'm at.

my new year's "resolution" of trying a new recipe per week has not gone so well overall. however, last week I did make a new soup, and today i roasted a whole chicken in the oven for the first time. it was on sale for 79 cents per pound at publix last week, and i could not resist. i was not a big fan of fishing the bag of innerds out of the cavity. both my cook book and the bird specifically reminded me to do so, so i figured it must be somewhat important. i did not make gravy, just poured the juices back over the meat after it was cut. here's how i seasoned it... it was really good, IMNSHO (in my not-so-humble-opinion).

1/2 stick butter, melted
1/2 c finely chopped red onion
3 small garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp Penzey's tuscan sunset italian style seasoning
1 tbsp kosher salt
several grinds of pepper

mix all seasonings in bowl. after basting/rubbing melted butter into the bird's skin, rub the seasonings all over the bird outside and inside. bake uncovered. after dinner, i boiled the carcass in water to make soup stock, which i will freeze for future use.

5 comments:

Grace said...

I adore Penzey's spices. They make everything yummy!!

crt said...

hey check out mealsmatter.com. love that site. you can check out new recipes, make a shopping list and even organize meals for the week. i've been using that and trying out a bunch of new stuff.

Sara said...

I'm impressed. I'm always too intimidated by whole chickens to buy them. It sounds yummy though.

Heather said...

Keep at the running, it will come, you will find a groove. And I like your idea of a new recipe a week. Im going to steal that!
-h

Lauren said...

Grace- There's a penzey's shop near tech mom's... I am becoming a fan. :) Too bad they aren't cheap!
crt- I'll check it out.
Sara- I was intimidated, too... but after changing countless diapers, chicken slime doesn't phase me as much. It was yummy!
Heather- Thanks for the encouragement! I'll have to get out and run again. Lately the wii fit is all I've done. Better than nothing I guess.