Saturday, March 28, 2009

my "vision"

I'm not talking about some kind of mystical, philosophical goal. OR my eyesight. This is, or should be, much simpler and attainable than that. After almost 6 years in this house, 3 since we finally got the wall up, give or take a year (I've lost track), I think I know what I want to do with the cliff. I want a butterfly garden. Now, the plants I put in today are not really butterfly friendly. But we have all this slope, it's a pain and an eyesore because we can't get the grass to grow nicely on it. And while I am pleased with what I did today, in my mind it says, "just the beginning."

If I were to admit that aloud to hubby, it would translate something like "be afraid, be very afraid." (I could go crazy buying plants.) Although I think it SHOULD mean, "less to mow."

See how the grass STILL hasn't filled in very well along the retaining wall? Hubby has worked very hard to make the grass grow every year. It already looks better this weekend than it has since last July or so. But I can't help but want to try to grow something else there. I planted what I bought yesterday in the worst patch; lots of slumping going on there. My hope is that the roots from the plants will help reduce the slumping. Eventually, the phlox should grow closer together, ast the instructions said to plant them 15-18 inches apart. The forsythia should grow to be 6-8 ft. Eventually.

My vision is still a bit cloudy, but it includes a big butterfly bush placed down the hill from the patio. And butterfly-attracting flowers, grasses, and/or ground cover of some type in between. Perhaps some cascading petunias or ivy hanging over the wall.

I haven't told hubby about my vision yet. I think I'll just suggest that he read the blog.

8 comments:

Tech Mom said...

What color of butterfly bush do you want for your yard??

Kristi said...

The great thing is that so many butterfly friendly plants are perennials... they only have to be purchased once and they're like the gift that keeps on giving! ;)

Caslon said...

Very pretty! It sounds really nice. I like to hit home depot or lowes when move their plants to clearance for like 50 cent a plant. You can really rack up on great perennials for little money and all they need is a little love.

Lauren said...

Mom- purple, maybe white. leaning toward purple. NOT pink- it would clash with the brick, not that it would be right next to it. i just think the color might be nice.

kristi- I agree!

caslon- I like to hit the clearance racks for bulbs, but I want to give my plants a chance to root well before the hottest part of the summer... increase their odds of staying alive, ya know?

Heather said...

Learning more plant info all the time, thanks for sharing, looking forward to how they look later.
-h

Caslon said...

Lauren,
There are some beautiful colors of butterfly bushes lately. I've seen some that are a rainbow of colors - very pretty. I believe they are called bicolor or multicolored. I have a couple that are very dark purple - almost blue. They are pretty as well.

crt said...

hey girl, i got some sites for you:-)
http://www.thebutterflysite.com/gardening.shtml

http://www.butterflybushes.com/milkweed.htm

you need to make sure that you have both host plants and nectar plants otherwise the garden will be pretty, but in vain. i'm doing research right on to put in a garden in the backyard. the front yard already attracts them, but the more the merrier.

Sara said...

I'm so not a green thumb so I like looking at your ventures in gardening. I do love forsythia, that's going to be lovely.

We're doing a community garden this year, I'm nervous about it!