a different kind of censorship
I don't work in the music industry, but I know a few people who do. There's a fairly well known artist who I got on e-mail list for a while back. Since going solo, his work has become more original and thought-provoking and less like the typical Top 20 CCM countdown material. Apparently, his record label doesn't like a song he wants to put on his album and is delaying the release.
I don't know the content of the song, but the e-mail I received got me thinking. Do record-label contracts really give them the right to completely deny an artist's choice of sharing his work with his listeners? Do they care about artistic integrity and spreading worthwhile messages from the hearts of the people they have selected to represent them, or do they manipulate those artists into fitting into a mold of some type, eventually destroying their unique identity and work, or at least damaging it?
Then again, for all I know maybe the content is shocking enough that I would think twice about buying the album... I am only speculating and don't know both sides of the story. But how much sugar-coating of the gospel do we really need in our music/art? When the message becomes a little messy or controversial, do we hide it in order to protect the sterile holiness that forgets what we are saved from by Christ's blood and resurrection? Is the motive behind the labels' discretion that of maintaining their own sense of "integrity" or the bottom line in the account?
Christians are quick to condemn the mainstream media for censoring viewpoints, but it also seems that censorship is present if not prevalent among the "Christian" media industry.
So much for authenticity....
5 comments:
Is this Derek Webb? I LOVE HIM!
You are SO right about sugar coating the message that happens.
I agree! What artist is this? I wonder if you can get a copy (if he will post the lyrics or something...of course he's probably not allowed to do that either!) to see for yourself. If it is Derek Webb...well that's pretty sad. I love his voice too, and I think he is a little deeper than maybe most would go. That's pretty sad about what's happening to him (or whoever it is). I think transparency and honesty in what being a Christian is like, all the amazing wonderful things and the discouraging times too, all the different facets of being a human and being a Christian human at that entails. But then again, I tend to say too much and don't shut up...so I wouldn't probably be the best one to say anything! Except I agree with you!
Hope you are well, beautiful flowers in the pic!
xoxo
slb
Lauren, if you are talking about Derek Webb, the song that is causing all of th fuss is here:
http://purgatorio1.com/?p=861#comments
Warning: language.
Would love to hear your thoughts on this.
Paul
Ah... no wonder there's fuss. I haven't played the video yet because we're sharing a room with Bear...
I'm a bit confused about his target audience in this song. Upon first glance at the lyrics,it sounds like he wants to say something to a certain former talk show host(ess?)... but then it shifts to criticizing the other extreme.... complacent evangelical Christians...
I can definitely see why a "christian" label would be concerned when THEIR target audience (or the paretns of their audience)is not typically one that would expect nor want this type of language Derek uses here....
hmmm...
Post a Comment