Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Hope I am not speaking too soon

It's not ours yet.  But I had to share some things that hit me about this particular home.  One thing.
We have been looking for a home with a level lot.  This one is sloped and levels out.  As we approached the city where we'll be moving, we noticed an increase of snow on the ground.  Roads were clear, but there was a definite dusting.  When we got into neighborhoods, snowmen were standing tall.  Even though most of the snow had melted by early afternoon, proof remained.


We walked through this particular home.  The layout is practical.  Not overly open, butWe had seen it 2 weeks before, liked it ok, but questioned if the sellers would negotiate.  We'd been through making an offer and walking away once so far.

This time I began to see myself and my family there.  Holding our hands as we walked down the steps from the deck to the back yard.  The kiddos ran down the hill to the level part of the backyard with sheer glee.  Freedom.  As though they hadn't run like that in years. (They have, don't worry, but usually it's tormenting the neighbors below.)

And I had flashbacks.  Memories of being close to my daughter's age, rolling down a similar hill in the first neighborhood that I remember.  Sledding down that hill in the snow. Building a muscular snowman in the front yard and snow forts in the bank in the backyard.  And igloos.

So, the snow is rather infrequent and will probably never hit the amounts I saw during those early years of my life.  But when the occasional winter storm hits, I'll be ready.  Ready to take pictures of my children playing in the snow and tumbling down that hill.  I may even buy a sled on clearance at the end of this winter so we'll be prepared.  If there are any left.

Assuming we get this place, of course.

No comments: