Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Pardon my rant

We've had people suggest we can "just rent" until we find that perfect home for us 5 hours away.  I agree, sort of.  At least, to their face.  (We've been looking since October, it's not like we just started this house hunt.)  What I really want to say, is a little bit more like this:

Are you volunteering to pack and move our stuff or pay for the expense twice?  This is not a company paid move.  It comes out of our saving account and takes away from the amount we could invest into a home.   You are welcome to come bring a team of movers or finance both gigs if you would like, but I am not doing this twice if I can help it.  Furthermore, packing with a 5 year old and 2 year old is not easy.

Have you been living in temporary housing situations with half the personal space you are used to for a year and a half?  No?  Then don't tell me I should continue doing so.  Unless you've been living in barracks and fighting for our freedom, or you too have been in an uncomfortable place with unrealistic morons who moved in below you and expect your children to sit still and not play because they are too loud, you really don't have a right to tell me that looking for another apartment is the best choice.  Although I will miss the maintenance help. (Our previous neighbor, who relocated across the country, never called to management to complain, so we can't be THAT loud.  Perhaps she is just a saint.)

The reality is that if we don't find a house that suits us, we will figure it out, we may rent a house or condo without neighbors above or below.  Because buying a home is a huge investment, and one we do want to be confident in.  But really, people,  especially those who don't know us well, it's not as simple and practical as it sounds.  So keep your "sound" advice to yourself unless it's requested.

I had to vent a little bit.   Don't take it personally any more than you would want me to take your well meaning advice as an insult to my intelligence.

1 comment:

Heather said...

We are house hunting too, no easy task. Been living with my mom for 1 yr now. I feel your pain!
-h