parenting is heart work
I think it's time to dig through my boxes of books and find our copy of "Parenting is Heart Work" to read again. About halfway through Bear's 5th year, sassiness began getting stronger and stronger and stronger. now that she is 6, her strong will is also strengthening.
The challenge as a parent is not to just punish, but to teach consequences for actions. Punishment without somehow conveying the reason for the punishment is futile and, in my opinion, will only lead to rote feigned obedience and sneaking around as they get older.
Helping a 6 year old learn proper behavior is not as easy as just telling her the golden rule. It forces me to examine my heart as I choose the best form of discipline for the situation.
Some days, like today, it's really hard to fight anger and frustration (on both sides).
Parenting IS heart work... on my part as the parent, then on my children's. Or maybe I should say also on my children's, as only God can truly change our hearts.
No comments:
Post a Comment