Wednesday, November 02, 2011

observations....

My daughter and I have some personality similarities.  I have a hard time remembering my early childhood.  I remember bits and pieces, some highs, some lows.  I remember some toys and activities, etc., but I don't remember what "I" was like as a person.  So I asked Mom this weekend, shortly after a confrontation with my non-cooperative 6 year old.  She said I held things in more than my girl does.  Later on during the weekend, Dad mentioned that they were harder on us than we are on our kids.  Hmmmm... in light of the fact that I now have a tendency to share too much, perhaps THAT's part of why I held things in.

Parenting is tough.  You have to make decisions about discipline, etc... in areas that are far from black and white.  YOU have to decide when to extend grace or mercy, or when to be strict and what some might call just.

One of my goals is to make sure that my kids know that our relationship is more important than the hierarchy.  Respect is important, but I want them to trust me as well.  I don't want them to be afraid to talk about things, and when the need for discipline arises, I want it to be productive, not demeaning. Finding that balance is hard.

No comments: