Sunday, October 07, 2007

89 degrees

That's the current temp here in middle TN. That means it was at least a couple of degrees warmer during our little outing to the pumpkin patch. We now have a festive fall display of corn stalks, 2 pumpkins, and 3 gourds next to our front door. I predict at least one of the pumpkins will get smashed by our little bear at some point. The stems are already broken off. It seems wrong to have worn a tank top blouse to the pumpkin patch, but it was so warm.... Anyway, Tech Mom and I scoped out the location to see if they were open today. We had passed the sign yesterday on our way down to the Country Ham Festival, where my parents had Dad's artwork on display. Bear got to see all her Grandparents, her youngest Aunt, and her younger cousin all in the same day.

Anyway, all day yesterday Tech Mom had told Bear that she would buy her a pumpkin. And today we found the farm and she kept her promise before heading home.

All these pre-Autumn festivities bring back memories of the first small town where we lived in the Midwest when I was a child. This is the town where my elementary school was in walking distance, and there was an Appaloosa horse farm just a short walk down the street in the other direction. This time of year, we would go on hayrides at the apple orchard in the next town over and watch them press the apples for cider in the mill. They also made fresh cake donuts there. Donuts that put Krispy Creme to shame for imitating such a rich treat. Not that I don't like K.C. I do. But the real homemade cake donuts stick with you better instead of giving you that sugar rush that ends as a sugar crash. Anyway, it was fun to see my daughter's excitement as she tried to pick a pumpkin that probably weighed as much as she does, and when we returned home she played with her gourds and picked up our pumpkins.

After we got back from the pumpkin patch, Hubby cleaned out our car, vacuuming everything and febreezing the car seat. It had been at least 6 months since the vehicle had that kind of TLC.

p.s. I "chatted" with a former classmate from childhood, and she said the orchard is still going strong. Am I crazy for wanting to drive up there for some fresh cider and donuts to dunk?

No comments: