Sunday, June 22, 2008

bittersweet

Yesterday and today ended up being busier than we had anticipated, in mostly a very good way. Tech Mom and Dad rode over from their house on their motorcycle yesterday, and left after breakfast this morning. They gave us just enough notice to make the main areas of the house presentable, and since I knew they were coming to see Bear, anyway, I didn't worry about the rest. I did manage to scrub some nastiness out of the fridge. You don't want to know how bad it was. Anyway, we relaxed with them, and Bear had fun climbing on them, playing with blocks, and demonstrating her newfound fascination with wedding dresses (blankets draped over her head.. thanks to the Little Mermaid). Before they drove off, she sat in front of Papa on the bike and giggled as he started the engine. Usually the noise frightens her if she is too close, but she held onto Papa's arms and grinned. She knew she was safe.

After they left for their 5 or 6 hour ride home (scenic route, on motorcycle, not interstate), we headed down to my parents as we had planned for dinner. Their house is on the market, as they are planning to downsize. Their property is 2 1/2 acres, and as they age and like to venture around the country visiting relatives and friends, it's a lot of upkeep. There are 2 water garden areas, fruit trees line the driveway, and all sorts of vegetation. They did not plant a veggie garden this year. We had a very nice visit. I love the fact that my daughter has been able to begin relationships with all of her grandparents, and she loves spending time with them.

Dad and I walked with her up the driveway, where we picked fresh granny smith apples which were within arms' reach. Bear laughed hysterically as Grandaddy shook the peach tree, trying to loosen out-of-reach peaches from near the top. She also tried to climb the trees herself. We saw bunnies, baby frogs, and of course, the ever-popular goldfish in the lily-pad covered pond. Bear also laughed as she heard the frogs "ribbit"... which I have decided sounds more like a burp.

In a way, I can't help but hope it takes a while for the house to sell. I want her to remember days like yesterday and today. There are connections being formed that I hope will grow stronger. I pray that we will always live near enough for those bonds to be strengthened more than once or twice a year...

5 comments:

Kristi said...

Awww, I SO understand this sadness. Plus, I can't believe your apples are ready... ours aren't ripe until September. I haven't even checked the crop yet this year. I suggest taking lots of pictures, close-ups of those ripe apples and peaches, the ponds and the larger "picture". Memories can fade but the photos will help Bear remember. (((hugs)))

Caslon said...

I love your new template! Very pretty and easier to read.

Grace said...

Ah, yes, I know the feeling. My parents just sold my childhood home and moved about a month ago. It sat on the market for almost a year before it sold. I was not disappointed and loved that we were still able to have another round of holidays there last Christmas. But now, it's gone for good. The kids and I are going out there for our summer visit next month and while I'm excited to see their new place decorated like them (I saw it before back in April when I visited by myself), I'm also gonna miss "home" for a variety of reasons. So sadd!

Grace said...

Love the template! Aren't those cool templates?

Sara said...

I love the new template - and thanks Grace for the point over to the cute templates! My parents just left after a wonderful 2 week visit. I so wish they could live closer or that we could live closer. Allison just loved being with her Grammy and Pop and it makes me sad that she wont' get that more often. I grew up with far flung grandparents and wish I could have had a real realationship with them not just the yearly visit kind.