Last weekend, a Groupon special caught my eye. There is apparently a daylily hybridizer within 5 minutes of my house, with hundreds of beautiful varieties.
We had yellow daylilies that the builders planted the beds of our first house. They were basic yellow, single blooms, and they multiplied like crazy. I even dug some up and planted them for my neighbor when I was 7+ months pregnant with Buddy, and my friend, who professes to have a brown thumb, has not killed them yet.
So, I saw the Groupon ($12 for 3 plants), saw the convenient address, perused the website, and decided the offer could not be resisted. The kids and I headed over yesterday. The "farm" is on just an acre, but wow, the grower has maximized his space. He has a big backyard, several rows of potted plants, and the path that leads to that area is lined with other perennials. It was all I could do to stick to my plan.
Mr. Schumaker was friendly and helpful. He asked if I had grown daylilies before. And then, he totally made our day when he asked Bear her favorite color and told her she could have a plant for herself if she could pick it up. She did. :)
So what varieties did we bring home?
| Bear's Bela Lugosi |
| Betty Woods |
| Peach Magnolia |
| Grey Witch with creeping phlox from the front yard added in (and the little bed that the kids and I dug and put together for it.) |
Here are photos from the Champion Daylilies site that show what the flowers will look like when they bloom, if I don't kill them!!! I love how each of the leaves looks distinct... for example, the peach magnolia has bushier leaves. The downside to daylilies is that each bloom lasts only a day, but at least they have multiple blooms. They are just best enjoyed outside.




No comments:
Post a Comment