Monday, November 27, 2006

I turned the corner yesterday afternoon. I was working on the ground beef for our tacos (well, hubby's tacos, I did well to eat some mixed vegetables and aout 1/2 of mine, even with the mild seasoning the spices got to me), and a fit of hacking came upon me. Actually, several fits. Poor baby bear stared at me in wonder, and clung to her daddy. He explained to her that mommy gets really sick, and this is part of how her body gets it out of her system.
I was tempted to go back to the doctor on Saturday, but the last time I had this crud, I went in and was told to keep doing what I'm doing, it would just take time. I did call and talk to a nurse. She said that since I was still running a fever, the physicians who were in would run a blood test to make sure my white cell count was ok. But as we talked, I told her that I didn't want to come in for "nothing". She honestly said that if she were I, she would wait it out just a bit longer... so I did, and hubby breathed a sigh of relief at not having to pay another copay. (Though it is little compared to what my friend Inkling shelled out.) Sometime on Saturday, as I hacked, blew my nose, shoved guafinasen horse pills down my throat, drank lots of water and apple juice, and hacked some more, I remembered my inhaler. And I began using it.... and I noticed slow but steady improvement over the weekend. so the next time I start sounding like a horse, will somebody please ask me if I tried my inhaler? It only took a week for me to think of it this time around. The guafinasen (sp?) broke up the congeestion in my chest and helped me drain, the inhaler did whatever it does to help me breathe. And although hubby threatened to sleep in the guest bed last night, I heard his alarm at 6 a.m. and felt him roll over and put his arm around me... so at some point he decided I wasn't coughing as much (or else our bed is just more comfy, even with the distraction of my coughing).

Today has been my best day since early last week. My voice is even starting to return, so I attempted to read to baby bear. She was more interested in patting the pages.

For the 2nd week in a row, we missed church due to one of us being sick. I had to bail out on the nursery, which is not a good thing on a holiday weekend, but as of yesterday morning I was in no shape to play with baby bear and her toddling buddies.

So no "black Friday" shopping for me. Or Saturday. We stayed huddled in our cozy home, avoided the crowds, and scrounged up things to eat around here. Hubby once again proved he is a terrific daddy by taking care of baby bear (although it occured to us that I should change the dirty diapers since I can't smell anyway). He even did dishes... as in washing the pots and pans, not just putting the plates in the dishwasher. I ate soup and ramen noodles and toast with great-gramma's homemade raspberry jelly. After putting Baby Bear to bed on Saturday, we watched Gladiator.

And now, as I hear silence through the monitor indicating that Baby Bear finally gave in to her sleepiness, I think I'll take the advice I was given as a new mommy over a year ago... when baby sleeps, do the same. Chores will always be there.

5 comments:

FarmWife said...

I'm glad you're on the mend. Hope the inhaler keeps doing it's job. Kudos to Hubby for taking over baby care and chores! What a man!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're finally getting better. Between you and Inkling we've got a bunch of "sickey poos" on our hands. Inkling is also beginning to feel better (she thinks). I just talked to her and while she sounds like she's got jelly stuffed up her nose, she says it's finally loosening thanks to the sinus cleaning kit thingy her last Dr. prescribed (don't ask, it's gross). Now Prophet is getting sick, hopefully it doesn't get to be a full blown respritory thing like it usually does.

Caslon said...

glad to hear you've turned a corner.

Tech Mom said...

we sent the rest of the biaxin I had here and a bunch of bidex so hope you will soon be as good as new!!

Lauren said...

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!! hope it arrives tomorrow- i took my last dose today, and still need a couple more days minimum.