my chicken pot pies are in the oven. one is for some friends who have a 2 1/2 week old baby boy at home, to be delivered fresh for dinner tonight. they'll get a chocolate fudge cake, too. those of you who know me in person or have been around here a while know i am not exactly a "from-scratch" chef. like crt, who introduced me to pre-made refrigerated pie crusts, i believe they are a mom's best friend. well, last time i used the roll-out crusts, i failed to read the instructions, and tried to unroll them before they were warm enough. disaster. the pies were ugly, though they still tasted good. today, i managed to unroll both top crusts without any tears or creases... if i don't burn them in the oven, i might even take pictures and post them later if anyone needs proof. i have found that the key to yummy pot pies is to simmer the filling longer than the recipe calls for. the flavors need time to blend together. what the recipe says should take 15-20 minutes takes me an hour, minimum. when i cook, i would rather take my time and enjoy the process and the end result than rush and appreciate neither.
hubby received word that he passed his tests and will soon be certified to help in the fight against fraud. i'm very proud of him! i might just have to use that other cake mix to make him a chocolate fudge cake, too. i was saving it for valentine's, but we can celebrate a week early!! besides, we already have root beer in the fridge, and everyone knows that chocolate cake and root beer are great for breakfast. (that's a family "secret" that will be passed down along with the "velveeta and sliced fake american cheese is from the devil" theory, if hubby has anything to do with it.)
11 comments:
you know that I have not made pot pies during my marriage I guess dad just missed out. It does sound good!!Congrats to Joel on his test--go get those embezzlers!!
I'm drooling just thinking about homemade chicken pot pie. I'm with you about the fridge pie crusts. They're great. It's amazing how things turn out so much better when one reads the directions on the box isn't it. Inkling on the other hand says they're awful and refuses to use them. She'd rather make her crust completely from scratch like her grandma. More power to her, I'll take the easy route. She does make a mean chicken pot pie though. YumO!
I've never made them either. I think G would like them... I might have to give that shot. though if it takes an hour it would be only for the weekend. We already don't eat until 7 and that's with a done in 15 meal.
The cake makes me want to make a cake too... I wonder how long I'll put off making the one I was going to make for Valentines.
I think I'm the only on in the T family that likes valveeta cheese and sliced amercian cheese. Not by it's self but in rotel dip - nothing is better than valveeta. And I think the sliced cheese makes for good grilled cheese sandwhiches. Nothing can replace a good slice of cheese with crackers like good ol' cheedar cheese.
tech mom- the recipe came from the dinner doctor book you have us for christmas a couple of years ago.
Grace- I admire inkling's commitment to real cooking. I'm just not that motivated. I thought about using all fresh veggies, but opted for the frozen mixed veggies, too. We actually like the wal-mart crusts better than the name-brand crusts. go figure.
caslon- you could make it and reheat it in the oven, just don't cook it til the crust is as brown so when you reheat it it doesn't burn. i love velveeta for rotel, but i have acquired a taste for "real cheese" in my grilled cheese sandwiches.
They have a 2 and a half week old baby boy being served up fresh for dinner?! Oh my!
(sorry, that's just how it read the first time... it made me giggle)
don't forget that cresents make the world go round. my cook with cresents book will be coming out shortly. from scratch sounds really time consuming. good but time consuming.
caslon, em would be offended if she heard you use fake cheese. when em was 2 1/2 we went to friends and the mom made grilled cheese for lunch. em said, "i can't eat that. it's not real cheese!
congrats to hubby
we had crescent rolls last week sometime... got them on sale, and still hadn't used them..
you really should publish a book with your crescent recipes. i'm not that creative. i know pampered chef has a bunch, too, but still.
very funny, bec.. :-)
I need to make a grilled cheese with real cheese again. I haven't in so long I don't even remember if I preferred them. I switched out of being lazy and not wanting to slice.... I will have to give it a try again.
I'll pull out my dinner doctor cook book and try the chicken pot pie.
Call me if you have any questions... I usually boil frozen chicken breasts in chicken broth with seasonings until they are tender (2 large ones is usually the right amount). And I prefer the wal-mart deep dish pie crusts and roll-out top crusts over the others for some reason...
Chocolate cake IS breakfast food...at least for me..
Post a Comment