Valentine's Musings
Hubby is very patient with me in my "domestically challenged" state. Every once in a while, I come through with something that breaks my pattern of helpessness. Now, you won't catch me baking much from scratch, like my brother's wife (the Chocolate Queen). At least, not often. That's not to say I never will, but for me, as most of you who have lurked around here a while know, it's an accomplishment to cook. Period. Well, a week or so ago, Tech Mom told me about a recipe someone she works with uses for Pork Roast. I think. Maybe it was roast beef. All I remembered was that it involved Garlic and Ginger. Well guess what hubby requested for his valentine dinner? Yep, a pork roast or pork chops , marinated and cooked in the crock pot. Sara Groves shared that the best advice she received from her Mom as a newlywed was not to make her husband guess what she wanted. Set him up for success. In my 7+ years of marriage, while I would love to come up with a good surprise at some point, I have learned it's better to set myself up for success than leave hubby terribly disappointed. That wise advice works both ways.
Baby bear and I went grocery shopping this morning. Publix gave us a free red carnation "just because" it's Valentine's Day. Baby bear loved smelling her carnation, and she miraculously did not ingest any of it. The stem lasted about halfway through the store, and I was only picking up a few items there. After getting what I wanted at Publix, we headed across the street to the Neighborhood Market, a mini-version of the big superstore that everyone loathes and loves simultaneously. Except for the bold minority who manage to boycott it for philosophical reasons.
I had hoped hubby's diet dew would still be on sale at NM. It wasn't. So I kicked myself for not picking it up at Publix, since their sale price was still better than NM's everyday price. But I did not go back. Baby bear charmed the ladies in the checkout at NM, just as she had at Publix, and she fell asleep by halfway home. She is still sleeping in her crib as I type.
Anyway, I thought I would blog about my experiment, as I manage to lose recipes that I write down. I used what I remembered from Tech Mom's description, combined it with what I read in my crockery cookbook and threw in a bit of my own creativity (if ginger ale can count as my own creativity)... and now it cooks. I pray it works out, because this meal is hubby's main Valentine's gift. And I bought enough so there may even be leftovers for Baby Bear's babysitters tomorrow night, when we go out for our actual date.
Ginger Garlic Apple Pork Roast
2 1/2 -3 lb. pork roast, cut in half
2 tbs. garlic-ginger seasoning stuff that was by the diced garlic at the store, spread all over meat
ground sea salt and pepper, on both sides of the meat
1/2 yellow onion
1 lb. carrots
2 c ginger ale
1 c apple juice
Put in crock pot and let it cook! I'm doing it for 6 hours on high only because I didn't get home from the store til noon, and I don't want to wait til 8 or 10 p.m. for supper.
Serve with homemade mashed potatoes and canned creamed corn. For dessert: Duncan Hines chocolate lover's brownies with chocolate chunks in it. And maybe homemade chocolate cookies with brown and white chocolate chips, if I get around to baking them (miraculously from scratch).
That, my friends, is my Valentine's Day kitchen experiment. Hope it tastes as good as it sounds to me.
4 comments:
Sounds delicious to me!! Happy Valentine's Day friend!!
Yummy! Can we all come over for dinner tonight?
BTW, I really like the ticker in your side bar. What a sweet way to keep baby close by.
Experiment succeeded! Hubby said he liked it better than beef pot roast. Woo hoo!
I didn't make the cookies, but hey...
Baby Bear decided to be picky tonight. I think her cousins are starting to rub off on her already. Oh, well. Maybe she'll fit in her clothes a little longer of she keeps this up.
I saw some people on BabyCenter with similar tickers, had to copy. :-)
Glad the meal turned out. I may have to give this one a try.
Post a Comment