I never thought I'd say this...
...but breastfeeding is harder than having a baby without the epidural. Maybe not physically, but emotionally it's WAY harder. Because when you think your child has eaten well, and then he or she hasn't, you feel like you have done something wrong, even when there is nothing else you could do.
We've made it almost 3 weeks. Hubby goes back to work tomorrow, which will be the test. My resolve is pretty low at this point. I take that back. My resolve to be a good Mom is stronger than ever. My conviction that breastfeeding is always best, not so much. In the grand scheme of things, the struggles I have dealt with in trying to nurse both of my kids are minor. They pale in comparison to what many of my friends have gone through with preemies and health problems related to pregnancy. I am blessed with a perfectly healthy daughter who thrived on formula after struggling with nursing. Our son is thriving on breastmilk, but I have chosen to pump and bottle feed after way too many extended nursing sessions which ended only to leave him unsatisfied. Maybe he'll grow into it, maybe not... but I was not about to let him start losing weight in the process, and he made it clear he was still hungry.
It's a challenge, because I would prefer to nurse than pump. period. But what's the point if he's hungry 5 minutes later? I know some might not agree with my choice, I also know that God gave each Mother instincts, and there are times that only the Mom can know what is best. Thankfully, this time we have had some sweet nursing sessions, not the latching struggles that I had with my first. However things turn out, I will be at peace with the journey, even though way was hard.
6 comments:
I am so proud of you for listening to your mother's instinct/intuition..you are doing what is best for your children and you..There is nothing to feel bad in that..Don't be so harsh/hard on yourself my friend..I think you are doing an AWESOME job!!
I use to feel the same way about nursing...well still do. It's important and the best choice. But since I had the twins, I had to resolve myself and realize that I may have to use formula. I also realized that they would still be loved and happy girls reguardless of how I fed them. So, no matter how you get him fed, the important thing is that his belly is full. Good luck!
I totally agree on the whole nursing is way harder that having a baby w/ no epidural!!! Do what will make you a happier mommy and brandon a happier baby and that will make the whole family happier!
Congratulations on the arrival of your little guy.
My little one was/is a big nurser too. I remember those sessions that extended into hours. I thought I would never ever get off the couch again. It does get better.
You're doing great--do whatever you need to do to keep your baby and yourself happy.
Your first priority should be Brandon's health. You chose that, and I think both of you will be better off for the decision. It doesn't matter if that decision is popular or not.
(((HUGS)))
Well I had 2 c/s so it is nice to know that breast feeding my son for 15 months will make a vaginal birth a piece of cake. JK of course, lol!
You know your right so dont even sweat anything else.
-h
Post a Comment