musings on temperment, birth order, and such
as i browsed back through portraits of baby bear, and i noticed a thread that runs through them for several months. i think i first noticed it at her 3 month portrait session. no matter how hard we tried, there were times she was just not going to smile. not on our terms, anyway. one of the best smiles captured on her face that weekend was in the carsear, while the posed portraits looked like sheer torture in some snapshots (i'm so glad s & g captured the reality). 9 months later, she is still very much the same. she is not a "ham". her younger cousin, on the other hand, is the opposite. while both girls' smiles will melt your heart, baby bear's cousin seems to turn "on" in front of the camera. my little girl... studies it. the vibrant, gleeful grins of her cousin don't even phase her. she studies the camera, the flash, the photographer. and smiles if she wants to. sometimes it's a mona lisa smile, one in which her eyes speak what the shape of her mouth will not.
ironically, my baby bear seems to be the more physically aggressive of the two girls, who are just 6 1/2 weeks apart. she is the first one to crawl over and plant several kisses on her cousin's bewildered face. sometimes she adds the "mwah!" sound effect as she kisses. she wants to touch her cousin's eyes, ears, mouth.. you name it. she laughs hysterically and dances to larry the cucumber. the same toy terrifies her barely-younger cousin, who always seems to need to acclimate to her cousin's "love language". Youngest niece is a chatterbox and dancer, she bops to any and every song, including ones she seems to be making up. (Her Mommy chattered 100 words a second growing up.) Baby bear has her babbling noises, but seems to only say words she is confident she can say well... mama, dada, cat, "du"(duck). She's not the incessant "reader" or chatterbox, rather she communicates in non-verbal ways (unless she has woken up and is awaiting to be rescued from her cage). I hate to admit it, but I was the one who held my word in and exhibited violent tendencies as a child. (Like biting my baby sister after she bit me. I was 6.) Does this mean Baby Bear will hold it all in til she explodes? Thankfully, she's 13 months old and we don't have to deal with that yet. both of these girls are (currently) only children and firstborn, yet their temperment is uniquely their own....
then, another twist. my mom commented that my oldest niece, "Monarch", reminded her so much of my older brother when he was her age. Extremely intelligent and intense, focusing only on things that they find challenging. They are not related, as this niece is hubby's brother's daughter. Both are firstborn. One is 30 something, one is in kindergarten. How she picked up on this in just a couple of hours with Monarch at baby-bear's party, and perhaps in the time at Caslon & Han Solo's wedding reception, is beyond me. I do tend to take her observations with a grain of salt sometimes. But when she told me she saw similarities, for some reason it did not surprise me in the least. Eaglet (big brother) was writing programs for or Texas Instruments computer when he was just a young lad... possibly even as young as 5 or 6 (with Dad's help), definitely by 9 or 10.
It will be fun to see which personality traits that we see in our babies are still apparent in 5 years, in different ways. Sometimes not so much fun, I suppose, but always interesting.
5 comments:
2 unrelated questions....
1. May I add a link to your blog on mine (like I did with Zann's?
2. So...are you going to check out Parish Pres? My brother and his wife are going to be a part, and they sent me the first two newsletters. It sounds nice. I'd love a chance to sit under Dr. Grant's teaching again. Anyway, just curious. What a small world this is, you know?
i can't wait to see what happens in the next few years with the little ones. always fun watching them grow and change
Inkling-
I'd be honored to have a link on hyour site. May I do the same?
I suspect we will be visiting Parish Pres, we haven't decided yet. We have been plugged into a sunday school class with other couples, so it would be hard to "leave" them. Are the newsletters online?
crt-
Yep. i was looking at Em and mad's Christmas pics from 2 years ago, noticing the physical similarities between your girls and mine. gramma will be overwhelmed this Christmas- Hannah should be walking by then, if she keeps up the current pace!
Thanks! I'll add you tomorrow. Sure, if you'd like, feel free to link me too. But don't feel obligated. =)
Parish Pres does have their newsletters online, I think. Or you might have to check out their site and sign up. My brother emailed me the first two. You can get to their site from Dr. G's kingsmeadow.com site.
Yeah, being plugged into a smaller group makes it hard. I'd say just go where you get community. My brother has been a part of the Micah Mandate class since he was in college, so that's why they decided to follow Dr. G over to Parish Pres. Both places will be very different in style, so that's also another consideration. I love Dr. G, but I also love Scott Roley. So, if I were still there, it would be hard to choose. I'm just glad to hear that a body with two decidedly different visions and styles was able to create a solution that helps both groups, rather than causing division and a sad split. That's rare these days.
And just in case you're wondering.....my brother teaches at Stonetable Tutorial. It's a unique and special place. If I'd stayed there years ago, I would have partnered with them by having a tutorial for younger children who could then feed into their school. I better stop before I get all sentimental and longwinded about that special town.
Wow. When was the last time you were at ccc? We may have crossed paths. We're in Mike Smith's class right now, which is basically parents with young kids. (ecept for Mike and Rinda).
I was in the nursery the day Scotty announced the re-structuring, but hubby was in the service. On one hand, the announcement came "out of the blue", on the other hand it was not all that shocking. We actully live northeast of Franklin, so the church plant might be a better fit geographically... and we tend to gravitate toward Dr. Grant's teaching over Roley's, but I think part of that is God taking us out of our comfort zone. We have been incredibly blessed with several gifted teachers.
I had one of the Stone Table's headmaster's children in nursery last year... what a sweet family!
The plethora of options for educating our children is amazing.
I wonder if I know your brother? Probably not, but you never know! if you want to continue this discussion without broadcasting personal details on the blog, e-mail me at sra_tomas@yahoo.com. :-)
Post a Comment