yesterday, the boys (hubby and grandpa) went out and about to do guy stuff. they test drove vehicles and went for a motorcycle ride.
meanwhile, tech mom, bear and i went out for some girls' shopping. we checked out a couple of baby/kids boutiques here in the memphis area. our favorite was mango street baby.
they had a ring sling i tried on. bear did NOT like having her mommy messed with, and kept yelling "take it off!" i liked the sling a lot, but not the price tag... the brand was something like rock star baby, probably because most of us don't have the rock-star money required to buy it. it was good to compare to the pouch style hotsling, which i liked at another shop but the salesperson was unknowledgable and only knew how to get it back in the package. and i think as a soon-to-be attempting first time sling-wearer, i like the adjustablity however, she LOVED their classic pedal cars and trikes, as well as their toys. we ate lunch near that shop after church today, and hubby even tried on a toddler backpack which would be perfect for hiking with bear. he found it all by himself. somehow, i am nervous about taking her on some of the trails around Fall Creek Falls without some type of restraint, and strollers are so darn awkward. we'll see if we actually get it, but i think it was one that inkling and henry david might even approve of! (if i can find it online i'll get their opinion, as they are our expert outdoorsmen.)
after dream shopping at the expensive shops, we headed on a mission to find fabric. tech mom looked at the $120 sling I tried on and decided she could and would like to try to make one. so after perusing hancock's she found a sweet pattern at hobby lobby which we think is gender neutral enough. we also found a coordinating solid, so she'll make it reversible:

I've been doing some research on line and found the following helpful sites:
www.mammasmilk.com
www.slingrings.com
Jan Andrea (lots of patterns to make your own)
Pretty Momma Sling
Hot Slings
The Sling Station
They have links to patterns for making your own slings, if you are so inclined or know someone who will do it for you! And lots of good info for us ignorant people who don't know much about baby wearing.
5 comments:
I love the fabric. Very chic! I thought about offering to try and sew one for you after reading your last post, but new baby may have entered college by the time I actually completed it. Sounds like you are having a fun weekend.
I really like that pattern. Very pretty!
Sure, if you want to show us the model you've got picked out, I'm willing to give my two cents. Personally, I'm a fan of one Mountain Equipment Co-op carries. (It's like Canada's version of REI - on steroids, I think.) Anyway, it's a great hiking kid-pack, with a sturdy stand, good harness design, great optional rain cover (a must where we live), good back support for parents, and a good weight amount for kiddos. We don't need it yet, but you can imagine that I'm already drooling. =) If I remember correctly, Kelty has a good one too.
Way to go with exploring your "crunchy" side. =) I'm with you on that one. So many women around me are into scheduled childbirths with all kinds of intervention. It doesn't help me at all during this time where I'm really exploring if I'm brave enough to try my sister-in-law's route. That's what I want, but it's awfully scary to think about going through a pregnancy and giving birth for the first time without every intervention known to man right nearby should I need it. But still, it's something I'm leaning toward should God let us get pregnant and carry to term sometime in the future. I think if I knew for sure that my Bohemian Midwife friend would be here for me, I'd go that route for certain. She's not even 30 and has delivered over 1,000 babies in primitive conditions in the Middle East. Now Canada is making her get Canadian certification so she can practice here, so she's stuck in Ontario for the next year or so.
I'm sure you already know this....but if you do decide to try the midwife thing someday, you've got a really skilled midwife in your area. My sister-in-law has used her three times, this last time with a true water birth. Now that's crunchy!
Okay, gotta get off the computer before the comment thing wonders if I'm trying to write War & Peace.
Really like the fabric pattern! I'm glad you had some time at mom & dads, sounds like fun.
love yhe fabric!
i made a pocket sling but have since realized i don't know how to use it.
That fabric will make a beautiful sling! I've used a few Jan Andrea patterns for a carrier and some other baby items and they have all worked well. Check out www.thebabywearer.com. There are forums with people selling their slings and other carriers. I picked up a practically new beco there for a very good price! Oh, I have a hotsling, mei tai and beco if you want to try any on.
Good seeing you today!!
Mirella
Post a Comment