Saturday, May 10, 2008

adventures in gardening, continued...

about 3 weeks ago, i decided to humor the hoa and send in my approval request for the big garden pots in my yard. i haven't heard anything back, so i am assuming no news is good news. i added basil to the herb pot last week, transplanted green bean sprouts into one pot, and today i planted 2 varieties of cherry tomatoes, some beefsteak tomato seeds, a red pepper plant, and some green pepper seeds. It's probably too much for the small space, I don't know. But I think I had too many coffee grounds and not enough dirt in the pots way back when I first planted seeds, so I have added potting soil since then. Well, hubby poured the soil into the pots for me. Anyway, hopefully at some point this summer we will have two or three types of home-grown veggies. Bear eats cherry tomatoes like candy, so I figure it's worth a shot if I can get them to grow again. (I am not exaggerating, either. She still loves them. While her toddler pickiness has manifested itself in other ways, toe-toes are still yummy to her.)

hubby worked on the lawn for 2 1/2 hours today. yes, you read that correctly. no, our yard did not grow overnight. he mowed, trimmed the weeds, roughed up some patches where the grass was spindly at best with the mantis, used the spade to rough up some really bare patches a little more deeply, spread 120 pounds of lime, fertilizer, spot seeded, and put a little left over soil over the seeds by the sidewalk... we're hoping tonight's expected rain doesn't wash all the seed away. He's heading out for a ride on the road, the wind blowing over his protective helmet instead of through his freshly chopped hair (trimmed by yours truly). I think he deserves the break.

Hope this Saturday finds you well!

No comments: