- Buy summer bulbs as the stores are running out and chopping their prices. I did this last year, and grew beautiful asiatic lilies. I found a pack of 5 stargazer bulbs for 2.50 at Wal-mart yesterday. That's half off. ONE stem of stargazer lilies at a florist can go for $6. That's without any roots or chance for return on investment! They were starting to sprout in their bag, but I planted them today by the mailbox and we'll see what happens.Some people say bulbs are a lot of work, and they don't like waiting for them to come up. To me, they are worth it because they save money in the long run (especially if they are perennials), and I don't mind waiting to watch them grow. (Though I am kind of jealous of all the pretty annuals my neighbor planted in her bed and am thinking I still have a long way to go to catch up to the cost of hubby's bike. j/k. sort of.) By planting all 5 bulbs, maybe I'll have some to spare to bring inside.
- Try to plant immediately before rain showers. Then you don't HAVE to water right away (though it doesn't hurt).
Friday, May 02, 2008
another gardening tip
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment