Friday, April 20, 2007

new growth and birth

Bulbs planted. More gladiola spikes have come up since yesterday. I decided to plant the new bulbs in the existing bed, because I am not motivated to dig up the hard soil next to the fireplace bump out. (We have a gas fireplace, no chimney, but a bump out.) Baby Bear's light pink cheesecake factory bear is covered in mulch. I picked off as much as I could, and now it's getting it's first bath in the washer. She insisted on bringing it outside, and I did not want to deal with a fit this early in the day. The neighbors across the street watched us as we planted the bulbs from the bonus room above their garage. The sun glared right in our eyes, so I'm not sure if Baby Bear saw who was calling out her name. It was cute. Baby Bear wanted to sit right on my lap during some of the planting/digging. Trying to dig a 6-inch deep hole with a trowel and hug your baby at the same time is a little precarious. But fun. I am determined that my daughter will not be a girly-girl to the extent that she does not appreciate or enjoy God's creation. Of course, that's not very likely with our family histories. So at 18 months of age, she plays with rocks, digs in dirt, and holds lily bulbs just for the experience.

Another neighbor, who has a 1 month old, 3 year old and 11 year old strolled by. She shared that she went into labor early, so the planned c-section ended up being a completely natural VBAC. She said the recovery was SO much easier because she didn't have all the drugs in her system. She also asked if Bear was still breast-feeding. Her question shows a cultural difference between the US and Eastern Europe. How many Americans would ask that question about a child who is over 12 months? (I suppose it's possible that I misunderstood and she was really asking "did" you breastfeed.)


It's sunny, breezy- beautiful outside! I love Spring!

No comments: