home from our "valentine's" weekend
we made it home safely. while baby bear partied with her cousin j, hubby and i spent a relaxing weekend in asheville. we went out to eat and ate too much (well, he ate too much, i ate for two, LOL), picked up some yummy ice cream and kept it in our freezer to snack on whenever we wanted, and visited the biltmore. "america's largest house" is simultaneously mind boggling, fascinating, and disturbing. the fact that a tiny village pretty much revolved around one family disturbs me. the architecture and sprawling gardens (which were obviously not blooming) fascinates me. i'm not quite sure if i'm more fascinated or disturbed my such excessive wall coverings such as 22K gold-plated burlap and pressed leather, but the library was definitely impressive. it was something like i would imagine the library in the beast's castle from a favorite Disney movie. i must admit, i was jealous of the floral design rooms (both of them) in the basement. and the bowling alley and indoor swimming pool. i am thankful that i wasn't raised in a society with so many rules and expectations. we think "keeping up with the jones'" is a problem today... try keeping up with the equivalent of American's royalty. hubby and i declared that we would be content in the servants' quarters (they were bigger than baby bear's bedroom). the audio tour was very informative, and made the 2 hour stroll through the mansion so much more interesting.
the best part of the weekend was spending time with my beloved, just the two of us. of course, we were ready to see our little girl again and checked out an hour before we had to this morning. throughout the weekend we thought of things she would have said if she had been there. the second best part was knowing she was spending quality time with her cousin, aunt and uncle.
anyway, i would like to go back when the gardens are in bloom. that shouldn't surprise anyone.
9 comments:
sounds heavenly devine..
I googled that house and WHOA! what a neat place to visit though!
Altogether it sounds like you had a wonderful time!
Whenever you go to see the gardens in bloom, you really ought to drop in and visit.. we really are along the way you know :P Oh! And I think there is sometime during the year that they actually have half-price admission. But I can't remember when it is.
I went to Biltmore with my folks when I was six or seven but J and I haven't ventured back due to how horribly expensive it is to get in.
sounds fantastic.
I'd love to see Biltmore! I'll have to go with QM sometime. Husband wouldn't go for it.
We actually got a package deal with one of the local hotels through the biltmore website... while it was still a splurge it was
a) much more affordable than staying at the Inn on the Biltmore property
b) it included the audio tour and the tickets for both of us for not much more than the rooms would have been at the hotel without the package rate...
hubby found it amusing that the winery is in the old cow barn... you could almost still smell the dairy farm smell in the basement.
brought back great memories of visiting the Biltmore years ago with some college friends. . . I believe daffodils were blooming so it must have been in the spring. . . one of my favorite flowers, which just so happen to NOT grow here in Ecuador! But the Biltmore is a beautiful place!
I'm glad y'all had a fun time - i'm sure it was well-deserved! :)
I lived near Ashville as a child for a couple of years and saw the Biltmore from afar and have always thought it'd be nice to see it up close too. As I recall a friend's mom worked there for awhile cleaning the bathrooms- now that's a claim to fame! Glad you had such a wonderful relaxing time.
Post a Comment