Monday, February 04, 2008

I need professional help.

(with photography, that is. )

I stepped outside in the warm-ish drizzle to check the mail, and notice my garden's first crocus bud peeking out through the mulch. So of course, because of the odd fascination I have with capturing my meager flowerbeds' life processes, I present to you the next additions to my garden "family." Perhaps I'll get better at using the macro feature on my new camera, but these were the best shots I could capture today.

The spikes had surfaced last week, but I hesitated to photograph them for fear they could have been a stray clump of grass.

See the yellow tip of the bud, at the base of the green grass-like spikes? That's a crocus on its way...


Then I peered around the corner and found a few daffodil spikes shooting up in the flower bed extension I added last fall:



They COULD be tulips, but they look like daffodils to me. Time will tell. Let's hope they actually bloom, and the rest of the bulbs do too.

Welcome to a glimpse of the Southern USA, where contrary to what the calendar may indicate, Spring comes in February.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Gravy..Our trees don't have buds on them yet..I keep watching them. Oh My Gosh..

Lauren said...

Most of the trees don't... yet. The poor plants get so confused this time of year.

Samantha said...

I like the last pic. I think that it is good. Let's just hope that we don't have a deep freeze in the spring like we did last year! My poor garden is struggling from that freeze and then the following drought.

Nothing in the mail. Maybe tomorrow.

Sara said...

Wow! I can't believe you have flowers already!

Anonymous said...

Spring? Don't you mean summer? It was 80-something here in GA today.

Proud Mommy of 2 said...

Your plants are looking lovely, Ren! How exciting that you're already seeing some budding... :)