Thursday, April 17, 2008

22 week check-up

I can't believe I am OVER the halfway mark already! My doctor's appointment went well. I got to go by myself, since my parents came and played with Bear. I think they were pretty worn out by the time I got home. :)

Stats: Little guy's heartbeat- 144 bpm
Weight gain: 5 lbs since last check-up (151.3 total weight; about 1 lb per week)
Belly measured right where it should... not too big, not too small.
My blood pressure is good.

She confirmed that the u/s looked good, and as the mommy of a cute little boy, was happy to congratulate me on expecting a boy.

I was also able to finally ask some questions related to my birth "plan" (I use that term loosely)... namely, my desire to deliver naturally if possible. She was completely supportive, and encouraged me to take a Lamaze class for prep to build my confidence. She also said that since it's baby #2, my body should naturally handle the stretching better since it has been there and done that (not to minimize the pain), and from what she has observed the recovery after a NCB is definitely easier than with all the meds in your system. Of course, at this point who knows how it will play out in the end, but one of my biggest fears (though I suspected I was just being paranoid) was that I'd feel belittled for even considering NCB.

3 comments:

The Longnecker Zoo said...

No girl, you can totally do it. My first two were all the way natural. It was very hard but once it's over you feel like, "Wow! I can do anything now!" I would have done it with the twins but my doctor wouldn't let me in case of an emergency C-section possibility. If you go in there determined to do it natural you can totally do it!

Caslon said...

Glad to hear all is well. Good luck with the NCB prep - I'm sure you can do it!!

Anonymous said...

If you can read through some materials on the Bradley method that might be helpful as well. I'll see if I can dig up the title of the one that I read before both my little ones arrived (both drug-free). While it's great to live in a time when we have so many advances that have saved so many lives, I hate to see women think that there's no way they could give birth naturally for births when nothing is amiss. Definitely look into it if you're feeling led!