Monday, April 16, 2007

Springtime is here again!

I hope I don't jinx it by saying so, but I am so glad to see the sunshine and be able to take Baby Bear out for a stroll without putting on a jacket! We also planted some daisy seeds in the front flower bed, sunflower and a perennial mix packet of seeds in the back of the yard, where it's technically not our space, but it's nobody else's yet either. The birds will probably eat them, but at 10 cents per packet, I'm not too worried about the investment. I think it will be fun if we do get sunflower seeds. Baby Bear was thrilled when a bird landed about 10 feet away from us while we were outside today, and I can only hope that if the sunflowers actually grow, we might get more birds as well. Three caterpillars caught her eye on the brick near our "chimney", and she kept trying to call them by name (something like cahpillah).

While we were "gardening", I noticed some bulbs poking through the mulch. If all goes well, we may see calla lillies blooming in a couple of months!!! I planted these last year; they came from a nursery and were leftovers from how a teenager from Bec's church youth group decided to earn money for a car, if I remember correctly.

3 comments:

Caslon said...

I have a spike coming out of a calla lily bulb as well. This died last summer so I thought it was a gonner... very happy to see a little spike.
Flowers can be so surprising sometimes. :)

Lauren said...

Yay! Of course, I have had daffodil leaves come up without blooms, so I will REALLY be excited if my lillies bloom. But I have heard how difficult they can be to grow, so I'm like you- very happy to see spikes!

Grace said...

It's supposed to warm up to 70 here today. I hope so, I really wanna open all the windows and air out this place.