Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Another glimpse of the fearless leader of the HOA's "uncommon sense"

My friend was in front of witnesses when the HOA President told her that her husband could continue to park his police car on the curb. He denies it and says he has the whole meeting recorded on tape. (Breach of privacy, anyone?)

Last week, out of principle, her DH gave an honest effort at keeping the car in the driveway since the HOA is enforcing a "no parking on the street" rule. Keep in mind that when he is off duty, he can't so much as turn the car on without his precinct knowing. So logistics were tricky. Their main car, like ours, is parked in the garage. DH's other car is usually in the driveway. So with both cars in the driveway, anytime my friend wanted to leave with her 2 girls, she or her DH had to move her DH's other car.

After sending a letter of complaint to the board when witnesses confirmed that she was told the police car could stay by the curb, she received a response back. In that response, she as told the cop car was in essence nothing more than any other commercial vehicle and did not belong parked on the streets.

I don't know about y'all, but when my DH drove a cop car, I heard over and over and over and over how glad my neighbors were to see it parked on the street.

Apparently with all the enforcements the HOA has time for, they don't need police help.

I am seriously reconsidering whether or not I want to do the newsletter when there does not appear to be any budging on the issues that matter.


Have a great day, ya'll! I'm off to Bible study after I shower.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, HOAs. Lovely institutions. (yep, I am being sarcastic!) Ours won't let any of us store our trash cans where it can be seen from the street, so everyone is having to keep their huge, smelly trash cans in their garages. And our garages are closed all day. Yuck.

I wonder if the man's precinct can give him any help?

Samantha said...

Where does HOA president get all of these rules? Is there a policy manual or is just making them up as he goes? Any chance you can hold a special election and get current president booted?

Most communities love having police presence. I'm guessing your current HOA is a little power hungry.

happymcfamily said...

Don't let them wear you down and waste your work so far! It'll take a little more good-guy consistency to build up momentum from the ant-army in order to change the ways of the grasshoppers.
(If you have no idea what I'm talking about, watch "A Bug's Life" for some inspiration.)
If nothing else, I'm sure it will help things to change next time HOA elections roll around.

Sara said...

Seriously, every time I read about your HOA I appreciate the city more where anything goes (a thing which we complain about).

crt said...

seriously, he has some issues. when are your "elections", and can you call for a "special election"?

perhaps the commoners should rise up in a glorious revolution against the tyrranus overlord!