sacred union & party time
PT & GuapoCop's wedding was beautiful. This was the first Orthodox wedding I've been to. I'm not going to get into theological differences here, because that would spoil the point of the weekend. The ceremony was one of the most beautiful and sacred wedding ceremonies I have seen, and quite different than most I have attended. Very traditional in the Othrodox customs, including the "chamber chorus" accompanying the ceremony from the church balcony. I may post the text from the program so you all can read about the meaningful traditions they incorporated. The chorus singing the Lord's prayer was the most beautiful rendition I have ever heard. GuapoCop is one of 11 kids, and several of PT's relatives came up from their distant homes, and both families seemed to love getting to know eachother. PT had said the reception would be simple: cake, punch, nuts, maybe sandwiches. Well, her Mom is a terrific cook of Italian heritage. She compiled two binders of her recipes and typed them out for her daughter as a shower gift. When we were in college, we would drive over to their house for a weekend, and she would feed us well. So while PT said the reception would be simple, I knew her Mom would go above and beyond PT's expectations... and I was right. Scrumptious finger foods, dips, etc... champagne punch and regular punch. Her mother takes great joy in serving her loved ones, cooking is one of her love languages.
At the wedding, we noticed that the mothers of the bride and groom stand about the same height... under 5 feet tall. PT is also petite, though not quite so short, and her hubby is not huge, they compliment eachother so well. They are petite, spunky women who love their families passionately. The church family was also very welcoming, and I loved being able to put faces with names I have so often heard PT talk about. It was a fairly small wedding, mostly family, close friends and closest coworkers, and everyone was obviously there to celebrate the bride and groom as they begin their life together.
We were honored to be invited to the post-reception party at the home of GuapoCop's brother. It was there that we truly felt the Hispanic warmth and love of fun. Hubby and I grew up in very conservative homes (dancing was /is practically a sin to some family members on his side), and GuapoCop's relatives were eager to try to teach us to salsa and meringue. Hubby was a good sport, considering how he's felt this week. I dragged him onto the dance floor (the middle of the living room, couches and chairs pushed to the sides), and told him it's the first time in 8 1/2 years we've really been in a place we could dance together, and he really did his best to humor me. There's just somethin' about the Latin beat that brings out the hidden free spirit in me. I tripped on my boot heels a few times, as I have "dos pies izquierdas" (two left feet)... GuapoCop's relatives laughed when I said that in Spanish... they thought I was just kidding, until I actually did wipe out. I am a KLUTZ, combined with new boots with heels... bad combo... I never outgrew the 12 year old clumsy stage. (There's a reason our old laptop has a fractured monitor... that's another story.) Anyway, PT was still in her beautiful gown until after the daddy/daughter dance, then she and GuapoCop changed to match the casual atmosphere. We enjoyed conversation, laughter with new friends and old, and I think GuapoCop's family appreciated my attempts to speak to them in their native language.
It was a busy, beautiful day. I can only imagine how exhausted my friend must be, but she described it as a perfect wedding day. That's what you hope to hear from a new bride.
Good night, friends. May you rest well.
5 comments:
I'm glad you had a fun day. It sounds wonderful!
thrilled to hear it went so smoothly for her!
glad you had a fun day
So glad everything went well. I look forward to hearing all of the details. I think mom is going to fill me in this weekend.
Post a Comment