unless you want insomnia. i should be exhausted. i am. yet i cannot sleep. so i've spent the last hour browsing online for ideas for a flowering hedge at the top of our cliff. Ideally, at least 4 feet tall when it grows up. Right now, there's some pink phlox that actually came back from last year. And that ugly cliff. It's too steep to mow, so why not plant a bush or hedge to take over? I figure planting 3 in a row should make a nice natural fence at the top of the cliff.
Here are some ideas I've come up with so far:
- rosa regosa (white)
- crimson king rose hedge
- yellow forsythia
- peony (white)
- hydrangea
- lilac
- butterfly bush
- rose of sharon
Any thoughts (other than the obvious "you need help with your blogging addiction")?
10 comments:
I would suggest butterfly bushes. We planted one and I've had to majorly cut it back 3 times in one year because the place I have it I don't want it to be very big. They are very hardy and bloom all summer long - plus love this hot sun. They also attract butterflies and I bet bear would like that. They come in lots of shades of pink and purple and also white.
I'm not real familiar with some of these - roses can be a lot of work and require weekly spraying with some strong chemicals (may not be good for bear or pregnant women). In this climate they are attacked by lots of diseases and bugs. Plus all of those thorns... Lilac bushes don't do well in the heat - I found some dwarf ones that I've read do a little better in this heat - but I have them in shade half of the day.
I'm not as familiar with the Forsythia, Peonies, and Hydrangeas. They may be nice - but my vote is the butterfly bush.
tech dad tends to agree--butterfly bushes are hardy and like sun--hydranga bushes must have shade or the do not do well. Sounds pretty!!
fyi: peonies attract ants.
the girls would vote for butterfly bushes and milkweed. (milkweed hosts monarchs.)
ixnay on the peonies, than. Now if I can just ge hubby to agree, I'll be planting a butterfly bush or two in no time. Not sure if I'll do white or blue (purple). White would match the house, but purple's so pretty. :-)
http://www.butterflybushes.com/butterfly_bushes.htm
here's some cheaper butterfly bushes...
Thanks. I wouldn't buy them from there anyway... I bet some of th nureseries out by Becca have them pretty cheap, too. I'll have my dad look when he's out that way.
I see others before have suggested what I would. I was thinking Butterfly Bushes so Baby Bear can enjoy watching them flitter around. (is flitter even a word?)
Flitter, flutter, both work for me. :-)
Even if you buy one that is real small they will take off and I'm sure do great - the smaller they are the cheaper...
LOL!
My green thumb is still in probation due to sudden death of other plants in my care so I can't offer advice on the flowers, but I have to laugh at you being up because of chocolate . . . My hubby has the same problem! Anyway's take care!
Post a Comment