The Cure for Anxiety...
That's the subtitle in my Bible, just above Matthew 6:25...
Hubby and I attend a fairly large church. I wouldn't call it a mega-church, it certainly isn't anywhere near as big as the one with the outrageously huge crosses that you pass on I-40 as you head into Memphis. But it's big enough that a lot of people get lost in the shuffle, don't get plugged into the community, and move on to find fellowship elsewhere. I have a feeling that's fairly common in large churches. Anyway, our class is trying to be intentional about building relationships, and today was one of those days where it showed. It truly was a God thing. In addition to our scripture study, several of us shared how the Lord is teaching us to trust Him in our daily lives. We were able to share because instead of being in just another Sunday School class in the buckle of the Bible Belt, over time we have begun to build friendships and trust.
As we shared, a memory from my childhood came back to me. My parents had invited a family over for dinner. The wife was blind, and I remember being a little frightened by her eyes. She seemed nice, but I think the part where she actually was able to pop her glass eye out to show us really made me cringe. When she sat down at the piano to sing a song called "Consider the Lilies", any fear I had of her vanished. I was probably a pre-teen, I don't really remember. But I do remember thinking that if that woman could sing such a pure-hearted song with all she had been through, I had no reason not to have confidence in God's love.
It's getting late, hubby is going to bed, and I would like to snuggle with him, but if you find yourself struggling with anxiety, fear, or discontentment, I want to encourage you to read and ponder Matthew 6:25-34.
5 comments:
Thank you for the reading material. I needed to read this today.
Hugs
I like your blog and have bookmarked it. :) Thanks!
Thanks.
Here for the party!
Nice to meet ya!
(this has nothing to do with the moral of your story...)
It's funny how our memories of the same thing can be so different... I remember thinking it was so cool that she could pop out her eyeballs and I wanted to look into her eye sockets.
lol!
Post a Comment