Monday, March 05, 2007

sesame street

Baby Bear and I are upstairs in front of the TV. She is actually about to take all the DVD's off the shelf, so she is obviously not all that caught up in the show this morning. She just kissed the cover of "Kate & Leopold". She has also been walking around with her older cousins' first Christmas picture and kissing it for the last couple of days.

Anyway, I like Sesame Street because it's a neighborhood. Though fictional, it's a community where people get to know eachother. Yes, I like the ABC's, 123's, etc. for Baby Bear. Yes, I find some of the characters' voices annoying. And today, the "plot" is about adoption. As hubby and I discussed last night, the pictures painted of adoption in mainstream TV often portray it as the worst option for the kids, not so subtly implying that the mothers are foolish for choosing life. It's refreshing to see adoption persented the way it should be, even if it is simplified for the sake of young ones.

In these days of urban sprawl, I feel blessed that as the weather grows warmer, our neighborhood will feel a little more like Sesame Street. (Why is it that there are no CARS zooming passed the kids in the street, though? I haven't seen a pedestrian only sign.) Neighbors will be out for walks with their kids, washing cars, pretending to garden, etc. When we lived in another city, we knew very few of our neighbors by name, never mind knowing them well enough to go out to eat or grill out together. (Which reminds me we need to refill the tank for the grill). Oh, our neighborhood is far from Sesame Street in many ways, but it's also better. It's our home.

5 comments:

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

The picture kissing is so sweet...I remember vividly the first time my Emma kissed one of her toys. She'd dropped it and picked it up to kiss it "all better". Ah...the burgeoning imagination of a child...

And just think how your baby bear will love to read these posts of yours someday. Isn't that the neatest thought?

Lauren said...

I hope they are still around. I need to save them offline or print them or something! I keep telling myself I'm going to use her blog to help me with her scrapbook... sigh...

Tricia said...

Thanks for coming to visit my blog party! I thought your comment was very sweet. : )

Anonymous said...

Lindsey's in the kissing stage too, and it's so cute to see her making a kissy face, or pulling our face towards her to give us a big kiss. :)

Holly Schwendiman said...

What a great post! I love the concept of neighborhoods and communities helping raise our kids. I recorded yesterday's Sesame Street for my daughter who missed it because they touched on adoption. I love that real life stuff they add in.

Hugs,
Holly
Holly's Corner