the over-commercialization of coffee
and coffee-based drinks, for that matter. a few weeks back, i mentioned the new coffee place within walking distance of our subdivision. well, it opened, i believe thanksgiving week, but i'm not sure. you know, the same franchise that's in every new target, on every block in the big cities. it's hardly just for coffee snobs anymore. in fact, true coffee lovers tell me that since the company hit uber-growth mode the quality has gone down hill.
i'm not a true coffee aficionada. the only time my coffee grinder gets used is when tech mom and dad or crt's hubby are here. maybe if ian's master pays a visit, too. tea is more my speed. i am, however a sucker for sweet coffee-based drinks, especially those that include caramel or chocolate. or both.
however, as i was chatting with crt as the new green-logo came into my view, i mentioned that i hadn't been there yet. my wandering impulses kicked in. while i threatened to blame crt for my lack of self-control, i can't do that. and darn it, hubby must have taken the $10 bill that we discovered in the ash tray on sunday. so now my purchase would be traceable on the monthly credit card statement audit.
my tall peppermint mocha was well worth it. i will resist the urge to make it a daily ritual. at 3.71 a pop, that's just not in our budget.
9 comments:
The other day Bee and I were in Wally World shopping. We went down the coffee aisle to get something and Bee said, "This place smells like Daddy". She's right. My man loves his coffee. He has several cups a day. If it's not made when he gets to the office, he makes it himself. Me? I can do without, I can't stand how it tastes, but I love the smell. It reminds of Smart Guy and Dad.
And I love my commercialized coffee from that green-logo place. Every time I have tried to make myself a cappuccino, it tastes something like dishwater. I think a cappuccino made by someone else just tastes better. Or the price tag fools me into thinkin' so. Either way, I'm a regular at our local Starbucks... So much so that they know what I'm gonna order before the words come out of my mouth. Sad, sad, sad.
after working over 11 hours today a little green labeled coffee sounds good. but i'll settle for a pepsi. :-)
admit it, your hubby is the one who makes good coffee in your house, and while he's away, there's no way you're wasting perfectly good beans.
plus, pepsi's far less work. glad to see you made it home before midnight, crt!
sarah, it's not just the illusional price tag... it is better than my coffee, hands down. no matter what the "snobs" say. now tech mom knows how to make coffee, so i'll be addicted by the time we get back from our Christmas vacation.
ok I can't let this one go without making a comment. Costco has some new coffee-called kenya aa, I am trying to get up the courage to buy it for 13.99--maybe for christmaa!! We were at a tearoom on Sat and had french press coffee--the waiter says it was the best coffee in the world--I beg to differ --our family can make some good stuff too-enough on coffee!!!!
I really live in the sticks. There isn't a Starbucks in a 30 mile radius. But we do have Ophilias Cup. Yum!!! Tiger Chi, now that rocks.
mm... a good chai sounds good right now.
tech mom, the poor misinformed waiter has never experienced home-brewed coffee. he gets paid to say theirs is the best.
And I don't dare try to do it myself until I can buy a good cappuccino maker. Hubby tried to figure the math for me, that ultimately we would SAVE money if I bought the mondo-humongo super pricey cap maker... but I can't justify a big ticket purchase like that. I can, however, justify my $3.50 once a week (ahem, sometimes more than once a week) for my grande cappuccino.
i can't ever seem to get just the right amount ground and brewed, like tech mom. that puts it into perspective, i wouldn't use a cappucino machine enough to pay for itself if i had one. once a week doesn't sound all that bad now. thanks, sarah. ;->
Post a Comment