Saturday, September 15, 2007

the elusive and naughty Mr. Beaver

Do not be deceived by the tales of the heroic Mr. Beaver in C.S. Lewis classic The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. His antics are not limited to goodwill and guiding the sons of Adam and daughters of Eve. Mr. Beaver has such a sweet tooth that he has taken to climbing into my garden pot and nibbling my cantaloupe plants to their stems. He also climbs into the tomato pot, possibly for the view, as I observed him perched inside and drooling at the sight of the neighboring fruit plant. He left the tomatoes untouched.

Of course, by the time I retrieved my camera, he scurried away. But mark my words, Mr. Beaver may be the death of my cantaloupe dreams, not the frost.

9 comments:

crt said...

back off the beavers! :-)

Tech Mom said...

tech dad said are you sure it wasn't a woodchuck?? He can't believe a beaver would be working the top of the hill!!

Samantha said...

too funny!

Lauren said...

Beaver, woodchuck... look the same to me. Personally, I like blaming something that I can imagine personifies. I'll see if I can get a pic of him on a future visit and let y'all decided what it is.

Lauren said...

Plus, with the construction going on across the creek, he might be a little disoriented due to his home being blasted away.

zann said...

Groundhog I'm betting.
Whistlepig, Woodchuck... all the same critter. Beavers are very shy from what I hear.. groundhogs not so much, and they are very prevalent across TN

zann said...

plus groundhogs look a lot like beavers.

zann said...

see....
groundhog

Beaver

Lauren said...

Whatever it is, it needs to leave my sory attempt at a garden alone. :-)