How to make hair clippies
1) Buy alligator clips from beauty supply store (12/1.99 + tax) I could not find them at the superstores or dollar store.
2) Buy ribbon and embellishments that suit your style or go with the outfit you are trying to accessorize for your sweet girl. I used dragonfly gems and ribbon from wal-mart's craft department. They have small spools of 6 ft. of ribbon for less than $1 each.
3) Measure the amount of ribbon you need by wrapping it around the inside of the top (curved) half of the clip, all the way around the top, and about 1/2 " on the bottom. If you want, you can wrap the ribbon all the way around the inside of both parts. I opted to save ribbon, but I might make some with the ribbon wrapped on the inside because it can help reduce slipping out of hair.
4) Pinch open the clip using your non-dominant hand. Using a hot glue gun (I bought the higher temp one for 1.99 at hobby lobby), apply glue to the inside of the top half of the clip. HOLD IT OPEN OR ELSE YOU'LL HAVE A STICKY MESS!
5) Affix the ribbon to the hot glue, covering the inside of the clip completely with ribbon. Apply more glue to the top, wrap the ribbon around, and press to smooth out the kinks.
It really just takes practice. I had strings of cooled glue everywhere, and one casualty clip that had glue ALL over it.
6) Hot glue the embellishments where you think they look cute.
Allow to cool completely before putting in child's hair.
I haven't attempted bows yet, but my sister has. Perhaps she'll post how she made bows on her blog? I imagine you would wrap the ribbon as I described above, then attach a homemade bow to the clip. It's making the bow look cute that is hard for me. When I did the flowers for a friend's wedding, my partner in the project was the bow expert. There are people who sell their bows online and you can get ideas from them, that's how I came up with the basic idea for the ones I made. I think instructions on how to make them are available online, too.
If I can do this, anyone can. You just have to not freak out over sticky fingers or get upset by a few "wasted" materials early in the process. And it's a project that is best done after the toddlers are in bed! Older girls might have fun helping affix the embellishments.
p.s. I have discovered a need to revise my "design" and move the dragonflies down a bit. The pressure on the dragonfly when I squeeze the clips is more than it can handle and I have had 2 break. Thankfully the dried glue peels off and it will be a cinch to replace the broken-winged gem.
3 comments:
You can also make "clippy bows" stay put better by simply spreading a thin layer of hot glue on the inside of the clip. It gives it more grip. But be careful, if you put too much in there will be too much of a gap around the hair and it doesn't hold tight! I did this with all of Bee's bows when she was smaller.
Ooh, thanks for the good tip!
Hmm, maybe I'll give this a try sometime. That is after I complete all of the other crafts that I started and not finished, like draperies, clothes for Lilly, etc.
Post a Comment