Wednesday, May 16, 2007

about my new header

I liked a header that someone else used, and decided to check out the website. I did have to mess with the code in blogger a little to make it work with my template, and thankfully I did not royally mess my blog up. I am NOT a techie.

Anyway, this one jumped out at me, because apparently it was taken in the Adirondack mountains. One summer as a teenager, I spent a week at Word of Life Island, in Schroon Lake, NY. You guessed it, in the Adironcacks.

During the preceding school year, my family had gone through some tough challenges. Of course, there was getting the older brother graduated and off to college. He did that pretty well on his own, but still. Then there was my Dad's mystery illness. Extreme joint pain, heart palipitations, fatigue. Our family's PCP had sent him for all sorts of tests, the only one that came back even borderline positive was the test for Lyme disease. Yet, our PCP didn't think that was the correct diagnosis to make because of the absence of the "classic" bulls-eye rash. Dad found an internist whose opinion differed from our PCP, and drove the 45 minutes each way for additional testing and treatments. At one point, he was on IV medications and home from work (though he managed to build a hutch top for mom's bachelor chest while he was "bedridden".)
Anyway, I had the opportunity to go to this week of summer camp, and while Dad's condition had improved a lot under his treatment, there was still a lot of fear and undertainty surrounding his illness and treatments. It was obvious that just one round of antibiotics would not be enough.

I remember sitting on top of the hill on that island, staring at the sunset and the water after an evening chapel service. I knew that if the Creator of those beautiful surroundings made every little detail, He certainly would take care of my Dad.

15 years later, He has. Oh, Dad still has symptoms related to his chronic condition. But God has kept him with us, and he is now retired and living life enjoying God's creation. My daughter and niece get to know their Grandaddy. As a teenager watching IV meds drip into my father's arm, I couldn't help but wonder... and worry...

So, you see, this photo is more than just another sunset. It reminds me of musings past, and the peace that God restores.

1 comment:

Rena said...

This is a beautiful post. I love your line "the peace that God restores". And I do like your header!