Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Not-so-wordless/works-for-me Wednesday

earth-pots


herb pot: basil, oregano, & thyme

bean pot

cherry tomato pot

I inherited the above pots from Tech Mom and Dad, and have used them as my garden. Why? Well, the short story is that I don't trust the dirt in our back yard. Construction crews dump all kinds of trash, and who knows how long that junk stays in the ground. I don't want it going into my veggies. Plus, I got the pots full of soil from Wisconsin- nice, black dirt. Well, this Spring, I emptied one of the pots, using the soil for planting my annuals and bulbs in my flower bed... We bought some more potting soil and manure last weekend, and I moved the tomato seedlings into their new home today. Works for me!


soon-to-bloom pink calla lily
(framed by yellow celosia, purple and white verbena, and white snapdragon)

It may not be Wednesday yet, but I want to focus on other things tomorrow.
However, I wanted to share these photos.
(I'm ecstatic that the callas made it through the winter and
didn't come spike before the pre-Easter freeze.)
And since the tomato pot was part of Tuesday's Tackle, why not post it today?

For more WW participants, go to 5 minutes for Mom or the Wordless Wednesday HQ.
Fore more WFMW, visit Rocks in My Dryer.

4 comments:

Inkling said...

Very cool. The calla lily is gorgeous, and I can only imagine how it will be when it blooms! But tell this curious redhead.....what do the white pipes in the pots do?

Lauren said...

Ah.... there's a plastic grate in the bottom to keep the dirt up a little higher, and by putting the water through the pipes, it goes to the bottom and encourages the roots to grow deeper and keeps the top of the soil from getting too moist. In theory, anyway. Tech Mom can correct me if I am wrong. There are also 3 holes drilled a few inches from the bottom so if the soil gets too saturated, the water can drain. Great question! My cherry tomatoes have done really well the past couple of years. Other things... not so much. But that could be due to inconsistent care. :-)

Grace said...

Love the new header!

Justice Fergie said...

the callas are GORGEOUS!! are they hard to maintain?