Feliz Cinco de Mayo! (Happy May 5th)
I'm not quite the history buff, but I have personally been to the fort in Puebla, MX. This is the location of the Battle of Puebla, which is commemorated by Cinco de Mayo. Cinco de Mayo is not to be confused as the Mexican 4th of July, as many of us gringos might assume. I believe that it commemorates the Mexican defeat of the French, who were attempting to take over the country. Good thing they lost, otherwise we'd have southerners trying to learn French, and God help anyone with a southern accent who is trying to do that. (Me, included.)
We made it home safely... mostly sunny skies, no overturned tractor trailers or other wrecks on the interstate, and Baby Bear only protesting mildly every so often. She even napped for about 1/3 of the drive!!!
While Hubby unloaded the car, Baby Bear went straight to her trike in the garage and asked to ride it. We walked down to the end of the street and back, and by the time we got home, Hubby was exhausted. So I took Baby Bear out front to help me plant the flowers which Tech Mom brought down from Great Gramma's farm in WI. They've been in limbo for 2 weeks, I was compelled to give them homes in our gardem ASAP. Well, Baby Bear insisted on digging in the dirt and bagged cow manure/soil stuff. Yes, I know that is gross. I don't care. She had her plastic scoop and rake, and knows that raking grass is not as much fun as digging in the real dirt. Needless to say, she got filthy. And when she became tired, she got clingy. So I interrupted Hubby's phon conversation with his brother, he stripped her down to her diaper on the front porch, and took her in for a bath. That did the trick.
I found places for the green and white hostas and seedum, and then I extended the bed at the end of the deck for the mystery flower. It's going to have a white bloom, and may be called Sweet William, or a type of dianthis, or something.. Tech Mom couldn't remember. My glads and calla lillies are at least a foot tall, and the asiatic lillies are starting to peek through. My green beans have grown a LOT in their back pot, and the tomatoes that I thought had died in the Easter freeze on that same pot are alive and growing. The newest calla lillies haven't come up yet, but that's ok. I'm hoping they will rise to the occasion and provide just the right splash of color after the others have slowed down. They will be transplanted to another pot after I buy more dirt. After touching up the mulch, I think we'll be done, other than watering and weeding, at least til fall. Oh, and except for trying to keep my veggies alive out back.
Hubby needs the laptop to catch up on bills. Good night, y'all!
5 comments:
Glad you got home with no major drama!
glad you got home safely, you'll never find a green thumb here.
Glad you got home well and had many a new growth to welcome you. I'm still waiting for my crete myrtle to come back after the freeze. I'm beginning to wonder if it will.
A neighbor chopped his crepe myrtle back a BUNCH after the freeze and there is some new growth on it.
I wouldn't say I have a green thumb, but I'm not afraid to keep experimenting in the garden. I keep telling myself that lillies and glads cost a bunch at the florist, so it's better for me to just give my gardening a shot.
I'm really tempted to dig up the part of the yard that's not ours but is not yet developed for a veggie garden. My friend Kel has just started her first veggie garden and so far so good. I'm so proud of her!
good job on the planting--we so uch appreciate you coming for the visit and even princess looks mopey!!!
Post a Comment