Monday, May 14, 2007

To work or not to work?

Outside the home, that is. A few weeks ago, I received a phone call from the Foreign Language Department Chair at a local Christian school. They have an opening for a part/time teacher in my subject area. I was interested at first, but the more I thought about leaving my little girl in others' hands, no matter how capable they might be, the more I reconsidered. "Part-Time" is still every day, just not for the full day with this school's schedule. When traffic is GOOD the drive is 20 minutes... longer during peak hours.

Today, two more people approached me and mentioned that they passed my name on to this school. Is God trying to tell me something? Hubby and I had pretty much decided not to pursue the opportunity any further. I've always wanted to stay home during my child's earliest years, and as she blossoms into a little girl I want that even more. Working 4-5 hours per day plus commute is still a little closer to fill time than I want for us right now. There are factors involved that cause me to pause and consider, and I am honored that a couple of someones thought of me when they heard of the need. But does that mean I am ready to make such a big change? (I'm not asking you guys, I'm just thinking aloud.)

6 comments:

Grace said...

Tough decision. I'll being praying that whatever you decide will work for you guys!

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Definitely a toughie. Hope you can find peace with whatever decision you end up making. =)

Nan said...

I agree it's a tough decision. My DIL worked three days a week, and though it was hard on her, it was great for me...I got to be the babysitter!

Anonymous said...

Hugs and prayers. I know you will find the right path in your choice.

Inkling said...

I'm with you....teaching can be so rewarding, as can accepting a real, live paycheck. But, being with your curly headed little girl is better than ice cream. Tough decision.

Some questions I imagine you're already thinking about.....

Christian schools are notorious for overstepping boundaries of time and professionalism. How does this school measure up? Would they really believe that you are a wife and mom first, and a teacher second?

What about occasional evening commitments.....conferences, open houses, and the like? (My school had them every single month, which was a killer on my energy level and social/family life.)

What about time spent lesson planning and grading papers? Would that be above and beyond the 4-5 hours a day? What about teacher's meetings? Would you have to attend? How often?

Is the money worth being away? Are the other perks (getting to brush up on your skills of teaching, getting to talk to someone older than a toddler, etc.) worth it? What benefits do you get out of this, should you pursue it?

What about energy levels? Would you still be able to come home and do all the normal homemaking stuff, or would you be needing a breather? (I'm fairly low energy combined with giving my all to whatever project I'm doing, which would make it totally tough for me to teach again now that I'm married. The idea of me trying to do it while balancing motherhood is just beyond my imagination. But others have way more energy and ability than I do, so I know not everyone would flounder in doing two jobs like I would.)

Okay. So I hope I'm not sounding too bossy or pedantic. I'm really just thinking outloud with you, and trying to offer what my brain was thinking as I read this. But of course, you can ignore all of it if you like. I'll be quiet now..... =)

Lauren said...

Inkling- great considerations. :-) You touched on everything I've been pondering. The school is connected to our church's "parent" church (or more like a sister church now). The teacher I spoke with LOVES the environment and flexibility they have offered to her to be able to teach part time, and it's worked out very well for her for 10 years. She and I seem to share similar teaching philosophies, especially regarding teaching languages.

BUT, you are absolutely correct- Baby Bear is better than ice cream. While the money could be helpful, some opportunities are priceless, and the best rewards often have nothing to do with payment. At this point, I want to focus on one child- my own.